Tim Sullivan won the 2015 Media Eclipse Award for Writing in the News/Enterprise category for "Family, PETA at odds after Horseman's Death," an investigative report into circumstances surrounding the suicide of Hub Johnson.
Legislation that would allow Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund money to be awarded to horses entered for a tag in some allowance/optional claiming races in the state advanced March 19.
Beshear did not commit to making any proposal this year, noting that the earliest it could be put before voters would be November 2014.
Louisville owner Bob Stallings died Monday, March 15, at his home after battling brain cancer.
The Louisville Courier-Journal reported late Thursday, July 17, that Churchill Downs is eliminating an unspecified number of jobs across the company.
Jockey Tracy Hebert has been granted a license to ride by the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority and will be allowed to accept mounts at Churchill Downs, it was reported March 28.
A disgruntled Bobby Frankel told reporters Wednesday morning he may reconsider Ramon Dominguez as the jockey for High Limit's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) run Saturday. Frankel said after reading a quote from the rider in a Louisville Courier-Journal, it seemed the jockey may lack confidence in High Limit to go forward Saturday.
Churchill Downs executives say they are not advocating slot machines at Kentucky racetracks, but at a meeting Monday track president Alex Waldrop made a strong pitch for alternative gaming. Waldrop said alternative gaming was the best long-term solution to keep the racing industry in Kentucky growing, according to Louisville Courier-Journal.
Most Popular Stories
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Guest Suite Taking Farish, Howard on Classic Ride