New York Racing Association chairman Dr. David Skorton announced Dec. 3 he is stepping down from the post to spend more time getting ready for his new job as head of the Smithsonian Institution.
Dr. George Maylin, the director of the New York State Racing and Wagering Board drug testing and research program at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., said the post-race test results on Belmont Stakes (gr. I) favorite Big Brown came back "clean" for any illegal medications.
Millionaire Forever Silver, the sire of stakes winners Carlow and Nu Rival, was euthanized Thursday, Dec. 8, at the Cornell University Equine Research Park in Ithaca, New York. The 20-year-old gray horse had suffered an injury to his left hind leg.
The Cornell University equine testing lab will now freeze urine samples for use as new tests for performance enhancing substances are developed.
- By Mike Kane
Karen Murphy, an attorney representing owner Michael Watral, said she is coordinating an investigation into the unexpected death Jan. 28 of leading New York stallion Dixie Brass.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Jaramillo Named to Ride Majesto in Derby
- Suddenbreakingnews to Have New Look in Derby
- Ben's Cat Victorious in Return at Laurel
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Nyquist Another Big Score for Dennis O'Neill
- Lady Shipman Easy Winner in Belmont Return
- Adventist 'Ready' if Derby Spot Opens Up
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Haskin: Viva Canonero...Again