There were five 2-year-olds entered in the $196,000 Futurity Stakes (gr. II) Sept. 29 at Belmont Park, but it turned out to be a two-horse race as fast-developing In Trouble topped favored Corfu for a comfortable win.
Trainer Todd Pletcher swept last year's Matron and Futurity stakes for 2-year-olds last year at Belmont Park with Kauai Katie and Overanalyze, and is well positioned to try it again Sept. 29 in New York.
Strong Mandate turned in a dominant performance in the $300,000 Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course, winning for Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas on the renowned horseman's 78th birthday Sept. 2 at the Spa.
Corfu and Wired Bryan, who put on quite a performance in the Aug. 11 Saratoga Special Stakes (gr. II), are back for a rematch Sept. 2 in the $300,000 Three Chimneys Hopeful Stakes (gr. I).
Front-running Corfu nipped Wired Bryan by a bare nose in a desperate finish to the $200,000 Saratoga Special (gr. II) Aug. 11, giving trainer Todd Pletcher his first win in the race for 2-year-olds at Saratoga Race Course.
Todd Pletcher and former assistant Michael Dilger will tangle in the Aug. 11 Saratoga Special (gr. II) at Saratoga Race Course, when Pletcher sends two young starters and Dilger wheels back Sanford Stakes winner Wired Bryan.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale
- Red Reveur Upsets Hanshin Juvenile Fillies