The longest race at Santa Anita Park, the closing day San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IIT), was settled by about an inch when Bourbon Bay came from far out of it at the quarter pole to tag Eagle Poise at the wire.
The 1 1/2-mile San Luis Rey Stakes (gr. IIT) at rainy Santa Anita came down to the final jump when favored Bourbon Bay nipped Slim Shadey by a head on the turf March 25.
Bourbon Bay, who swept Santa Anita's distance turf races last season, showed his prowess on Polytrack, setting a track record while winning the Cougar II (gr. III) at Del Mar July 29.
Odds-on choice Bourbon Bay became the first horse in 17 years to sweep Santa Anita's three-race turf marathon stakes series when he captured the $150,000 San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IIT) on closing day April 18.
Odds-on choice Bourbon Bay solidified his hold on the distance turf handicap division in Southern California when he rolled to a 2 1/2-length victory in the $150,000 San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita March 20.
Bourbon Bay, who had won the only prior 1 1/2-mile turf race during the Santa Anita meet, made it two-for-two when he romped home in the $150,000 San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT) for his first stakes triumph Feb. 21.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- American Freedom Clear Winner in Iowa Derby
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- As Borell Released, Cruelty Laws Questioned
- Top Caribbean Race to Be Held at Gulfstream
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Wake Forest Heads United Nations
- Globetrotting Tepin Preps for Saratoga Ship
- Melmich Victorious in Dominion Day
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues