The longest race at Santa Anita Park, the closing day San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IIT), was settled by about an inch when Bourbon Bay came from far out of it at the quarter pole to tag Eagle Poise at the wire.
The 1 1/2-mile San Luis Rey Stakes (gr. IIT) at rainy Santa Anita came down to the final jump when favored Bourbon Bay nipped Slim Shadey by a head on the turf March 25.
Bourbon Bay, who swept Santa Anita's distance turf races last season, showed his prowess on Polytrack, setting a track record while winning the Cougar II (gr. III) at Del Mar July 29.
Odds-on choice Bourbon Bay became the first horse in 17 years to sweep Santa Anita's three-race turf marathon stakes series when he captured the $150,000 San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IIT) on closing day April 18.
Odds-on choice Bourbon Bay solidified his hold on the distance turf handicap division in Southern California when he rolled to a 2 1/2-length victory in the $150,000 San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita March 20.
Bourbon Bay, who had won the only prior 1 1/2-mile turf race during the Santa Anita meet, made it two-for-two when he romped home in the $150,000 San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT) for his first stakes triumph Feb. 21.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Speedway Stable Strikes Late for Malibu Moon Filly
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Stronach Group Supports Bill to Bring in USADA
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired