Joseph Graffeo's millionaire winner Two Item Limit tried turf for the first time in her career last out without success in the My Charmer Handicap (gr. III) three weeks ago. The 4-year-old filly returns to the main track for Saturday's $100,000 Stage Door Betty Handicap at 1 1/16 miles. The race is one of four stakes with a total $600,000 in purses on the Grand Slam II program at Calder Racecourse on Saturday.
Best of the Rest knocks down the largest purse on Florida Million Day.
Arthur Appleton's venerable turf star Forbidden Apple was accorded highweight of 120 pounds for the $150,000 Bonnie Heath Turf Cup, one of six stakes races to be run on Saturday's inaugural Florida Million program at Calder Racecourse. Trainer Christophe Clement said Monday that the Citation Handicap at Hollywood Park will be Forbidden Apple's next start.
Trainer Bill Cesare confirmed Friday that Bitterroot Investments' 3-year-old filly Cellars Shiraz, impressive winner in the $200,000 Calder Oaks on Oct. 12, would remain at Calder to run in the $200,000 Elmer Heubeck Distaff Handicap on the main track Nov. 16.
TVG will present live coverage of tomorrow's 11th annual Calder "Festival of the Sun" from Calder Race Course in Miami.
Trainer Marty Wolfson has won the $75,000 Aspidistra Handicap four times before and has entered a team of four fillies and mares in a bid for a fifth victory in the one mile turf course test Saturday at Calder Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Two IL Tracks File for Bankruptcy Protection
- British Racing Undertakes Education Program
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos