Marchfield, named Canada's outstanding older horse last year, found the winner's circle for the first time in 2009 when he rallied from last on the final turn to capture the $190,767 Dominion Day Stakes (Can-III) at Woodbine July 1.
Making his sixth start of the Gulfstream Park meet, all in stakes, Rolbea Thoroughbred Racing's 5-year-old Finallymadeit broke through to the winners' circle after a dominating wire-to-wire performance in the $100,000 Skip Away Stakes (gr. II) April 4. He scored by 8 1/4 lengths under regular rider Eduardo Nunez.
IEAH Stables and Paul Pompa Jr.'s highly-touted Big Brown proved that all the hype was justified, as he led from start to finish in the $1-million Florida Derby, crushing 11 rivals to win by five lengths March 29 at Gulfstream Park while making just his third career start.
Despite a "muddy" track at Gulfstream Park, Garland Williamson's Cool Gator and jockey Eddie Castro got to know each other the morning of March 24 with a five-furlong breeze, the final workout for the 3-year-old son of Macho Uno before the $1 million Florida Derby (gr. I) March 29.
Jim Dandy Stable's Kesagami led at every call to register his first stakes triumph in Woodbine's CAN$250,000 Coronation Futurity on the Polytrack Nov. 4.
Trainer Pat Parente saw big improvement from his 2-year-old Storm Code in the gelding's second start when a game second in his stakes debut three weeks ago. The son of High Yield can take another step forward with his first try around two turns in the $250,000 Grey Breeders' Cup (Can-III) at Woodbine Oct. 8.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- Broad Offering Should Keep OBS April Growing
- WinStar Farm Acquires Interest in Upstart
- Red Cadeaux Nearing Record Earnings Plateau
- Mitchell Remembered as 'Brilliant Horseman'
- Late-Running Longshots Key to Derby Super
- 2015 Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby Prep Race Results and Points
- Kentucky Derby Notes, April 20
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic