Surfside is the probable morning-line favorite in Sunday's Grade I Santa Maria Handicap run at 1 1/16 miles for older fillies and mares. Trainer D. Wayne Lukas is hoping for good weather and a fast track after Surfside's third place finish as the odds-on favorite in her last start on a "wet-fast" track. Sunday's forecast calls for a 40 percent chance of rain.
Having swept the three major stakes races on the main track for older fillies and mares at the recently concluded Hollywood Park meet, Riboletta will have to face the burden of a winner in the handicap ranks as she goes to post as the 125-pound highweight in the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Handicap (gr. II) Saturday at Del Mar.
Aaron and Marie Jones' Riboletta won her third straight graded stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- First Foal for Circumference is a Filly
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Slimmed Down Racing May Be Finding Its Footing
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York