Surfside is the probable morning-line favorite in Sunday's Grade I Santa Maria Handicap run at 1 1/16 miles for older fillies and mares. Trainer D. Wayne Lukas is hoping for good weather and a fast track after Surfside's third place finish as the odds-on favorite in her last start on a "wet-fast" track. Sunday's forecast calls for a 40 percent chance of rain.
Having swept the three major stakes races on the main track for older fillies and mares at the recently concluded Hollywood Park meet, Riboletta will have to face the burden of a winner in the handicap ranks as she goes to post as the 125-pound highweight in the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Handicap (gr. II) Saturday at Del Mar.
Aaron and Marie Jones' Riboletta won her third straight graded stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Mike Venezia Memorial Award to Go to Pino
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont