Surfside is the probable morning-line favorite in Sunday's Grade I Santa Maria Handicap run at 1 1/16 miles for older fillies and mares. Trainer D. Wayne Lukas is hoping for good weather and a fast track after Surfside's third place finish as the odds-on favorite in her last start on a "wet-fast" track. Sunday's forecast calls for a 40 percent chance of rain.
Having swept the three major stakes races on the main track for older fillies and mares at the recently concluded Hollywood Park meet, Riboletta will have to face the burden of a winner in the handicap ranks as she goes to post as the 125-pound highweight in the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Handicap (gr. II) Saturday at Del Mar.
Aaron and Marie Jones' Riboletta won her third straight graded stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Belmont Winner Creator Returns in Jim Dandy
- Haveyougoneaway Delivers in Honorable Miss
- A.P. Indian Has Green Light in Vanderbilt
- Lady Aurelia on Track for Prix Morny
- King Kranz Holds Royal Edge in Amsterdam
- Madden Gets Birthday Win at Saratoga
- Legends: Lady's Secret, the Iron Lady
- The Gurkha Edges Galileo Gold in Sussex