The biggest surprises for City Zip offspring may be the improvement of most of his runners with maturity and the affinity many seem to have for turf.
One of the pioneers of the New York breeding program, Gustave C. Schoenborn Sr. died May 11 at his home in Coxsackie, N.Y., following a short illness.
Rodeo, a 10-year-old son of Gone West, has been moved to Michelle Rodriquez and Lee Thomas' Elite Thoroughbreds near Folsom, La.
Grade II winner Crafty C. T., third in last year's Napa Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) by only a length, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Gus Schoenborn Jr.'s Contemporary Stallions near Coxsackie, N.Y.
Grade I winner City Zip, who made his farewell race in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) for the partnership of Charles Thompson, Carl Bowling, and Lakland Farm, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Gus Schoenborn Jr.'s Contemporary Stallions near Coxsackie, N.Y.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Gunnevera Leads Busy Sophomore Work Slate