The 10-year-old Confucius Say and Ghostly Thunder, each coming off back-to-back stakes victories at seven furlongs, will square off in the $500,000 West Virginia Breeders' Classic at Charles Town Races and Slots on the night of Oct. 18.
Eastern Delite collared 3-10 choice Confucius Say in upper stretch and drew away to a four-length victory in the $450,000 West Virginia Breeders' Classic Stakes for state breds on the night of Oct. 20 at Charles Town Races.
West Virginia-bred horses from across the state are gearing up for the lucrative Oct. 20 Breeders' Classic races, which offer purses totaling $1.75 million at Charles Town Races & Slots Oct. 20.
- By Esther Marr
Randy Funkhouser, prominent horse owner and president of the Charles Town Horsemen's Benevolent Association, was told Oct. 16 he would be able to run his horses in the Oct. 20 West Virginia Breeders' Cup Classic.
Speed Whiz won the $500,000 West Virginia Breeders Classic for the second year in a row on Saturday night at Charles Town Races & Slots.
Charles Town Races, which came back from the dead with the introduction on video lottery terminals in the late 1990s, will offer more than $1 million in purses this weekend in conjunction with the West Virginia Breeders Classics.
Confucius Say beat Coolmars by 4 1/2 lengths in Saturday's $250,000 West Virginia Breeders Classic at Charles Town Races. Confucius Say, a 3-year-old gelding by Eastover Court, covered 1 1/8 miles in 1:51 3/5, barely missing the race record of 1:50 set by A Huevo in 1999.
Three past champions of the West Virginia Breeders Classic are among eight entered in the $250,000 race Saturday night at Charles Town.
Three past winners of the West Virginia Breeders Classic are among eight entered in the $250,000 race Saturday night at Charles Town.
Most Popular Stories
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- BloodHorse.com Launches BackTrack Channel
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- Vexatious Stands Out in Oaks Move
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work
- Quiet Business Wins Bewitch on Keeneland's Closing Day