The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports the number of Thoroughbreds who died after receiving a compounded drug from Wickliffe Pharmacy in Lexington, Ky. has grown to four, and six others have become ill.
The RMTC will recommend the anabolic steroid stanozolol, currently permitted for therapeutic use up to 30 days prior to racing, be eliminated from the list of substances with a recommended threshold level.
Scientists are warning horse owners and veterinarians to be cautious about using compounded (private pharmacy-mixed) gastric ulcer medications.
Most Popular Stories
- Encouraging Starts to Saratoga, Del Mar Meets
- Commanding Curve Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Better Lucky Shines; My Miss Aurelia Third
- Filly Untapable Works Toward Haskell
- Will Take Charge Works Toward Whitney
- The Week in Photos for 7/22/2014
- Grade I Winner Heir Kitty Tops Del Mar Sale
- Kiss to Remember Steps Up in Indiana Grand
- Matz Says He Nearly Retired Somali Lemonade
- Milestone Win 1,000 for Jockey Magrell