Prominent Australian sire Commands died suddenly during the early morning hours July 12 at Darley's Kelvinside Stud in New South Wales. The son of Danehill was 17.
Veteran jockey Jim Cassidy urged the best from Dissident when he lost the lead to challenger El Roca in the closing stages of the Randwick Guineas (Aus-I) March 15, and the colt gamely fought back to win.
After setting a torrid pace, Buffering appeared ready to go on to victory in the Aus$650,000 Carlton Mid Doomben 10,000 (Aus-I), but Epaulette unleashed an explosive burst of speed to charge past and win.
U.S.-based Solis Bloodstock spent $1.26 million to acquire the two highest-priced horses at the first session of the Inglis Easter broodmare sale April 16.
Australian champion Pierro held back charging stablemate More Joyous to capture the $350,000 Canterbury Stakes (Aus-I), one of three group I races at Rosehill Gardens March 23, opening day of the Sydney Autumn Carnival.
Undue grabbed his second major sprint with a grandstand finish to land the Oakleigh Plate (Aus-I) at Caulfield on Feb 24.
Eremein, a belated southern advertisement for his sire, Timber Country, took his earnings past $4 million (Australian funds) in winning the $800,000 Queen Elizabeth Stakes (Aust-I) at Randwick April 22.
Yearlings by freshman sire Commands (by Danehill) proved popular during Monday's second session of the William Inglis Classic Yearling Sale in Sydney, Australia with agent James Bester securing an athletic filly from the Marscay mare Flannelle for $130,000, the session's top price.
Australian group winner Commands, a full brother to Australian champion Danewin, will stand at Alec Head's Haras du Quesnay near Deauville, France, starting in 2002.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Del Mar Makes Adjustment to Slow Polytrack
- Perfect at Spa, Sweet Reason Ready for Test
- Trainer Joshua Stein Wins in Debut at Sonoma
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Clement Hirsch: Iotapa After BC Distaff Slot
- CDI Reports Record Second Quarter Revenues
- New York-Bred Palace At Home In Vanderbilt
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll