A nicely matched field of older males will go postward in the Robert F. Carey Memorial Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Hawthorne Sept. 29.
Defending champion Cosmonaut, who races in the colors of Flying Zee Stable, has accepted top impost of 121 pounds and will head to post July 21 as the 8-5 morning-line favorite in the Arlington Handicap (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds and up at 1 1/4 miles over turf.
Merriefield Farm's favored Always First, second in his last two starts, fought pacesetter Cloudy's Knight in a long drive to the wire, prevailing in the final stride by a nose in the $200,000 Stars and Stripes Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT), the traditional Fourth of July headliner at Arlington Park.
Always First and Ramazutti, the second and third-place finishers in the Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT) May 26 at Churchill Downs, top a competitive field of nine grass course specialists entered in Wednesday's $200,000 Stars and Stripes Turf Handicap (gr. IIT).
No Tolerance took the lead at the start for jockey Jesse Campbell and gamely held off 20-1 shot Rapid Proof to win the $150,000 Robert F. Carey Memorial Handicap (gr. III) by a head on the Hawthorne turf course Saturday as part of the Gold Cup day program.
No jockey has won more races at Arlington Park than Hall of Fame rider Earlie Fires, and the veteran added to his total with a well-timed come-from-behind upset victory by a head aboard Major Rhythm in Sunday's $195,500 Stars and Stripes Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IIIT).
Stronach Stables' Silver Whistle, most recently fifth in the Grade I Manhattan Handicap at Belmont Park June 10, looks to return to his winning ways in Sunday's $200,000 Stars and Stripes Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IIIT), Arlington's traditional Fourth of July weekend headliner.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
- Honorable Duty Holds Strong in Mineshaft Handicap
- Yorkiepoo Princess Scores Again at Aqueduct
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death