The accomplished sprinter Whipper, under a confident ride from Christophe Soumillon, won his third group I race at Deauville when he captured the Prix Maurice de Gheest Sunday by a half-length over Goodricke.
Retrieval missions will be high on the agenda in some of the major races in Europe this weekend, when Whipper and Somnus both seek to return to winning ways in the Prix Maurice de Gheest (Fr-I) Sunday while Damson, Ireland's champion juvenile filly of last season, is dropped back to 6 furlongs for the Patrick P O'Leary Memorial Phoenix Stakes (Ire-III).
A soft course at Deauville helped the Kentucky-bred 3-year-old Whipper win Sunday's Prix Jacques Le Marois (Fr-I) at the same time it extracted a promise from the connections of Attraction to never try that footing again.
Kentucky-bred Love and Bubbles tallied a three-length win in the Prix Chloe (Fr-III) at Chantilly Thursday.
Micheline Vidal's 31-1 longshot Choc Ice outfinished a pair of Andre Fabre trainees to win Sunday's E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-IT) as French-based imports filled the top three finishing positions in the 1 1/4-mile turf event at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Jogs One Mile at Churchill
- Smooth Stride Could Lift American Pharoah
- The Truth Or Else Joins Belmont Stakes Mix
- Secretariat's Birthplace Named 'Historic'
- Grade I Winner Molly Morgan Retired
- No Belmont Stakes for Conquest Curlinate
- Star-Studded Group Nominated for Los Al Derby
- Woodbine Plans Events to Send Off Loiselle
- Commentary: Saving, Not Destroying the House
- Groupie Doll's First Foal's Homecoming