Heavy favorite Beau's Town and jockey Jamie Theriot grabbed the lead on the turn and held off Honor Me and Rodney Trader through the stretch for a half-length victory in Thursday's $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park.
With a short field and a sharp horse on his hands, trainer Bob Holthus took a chance on Cojet, who won the $75,000 Colonel Power Handicap at Fair Grounds Sunday.
Kazoo established himself as a new shooter in Fair Grounds' sprint series, winning the $75,000 F.W. Gaudin Memorial Handicap in stakes-record time Sunday.
Paloma Parilla and Cojet will both miss their anticipated starts in the March 23 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park. Calvin Borel was to ride Cojet in the Rebel, but quickly picked up the mount on Ocean Sound for the 1 1/16-mile race.
An impressive performance by Take Charge Lady in Saturday's Fair Grounds Oaks could propel the 3-year-old daughter of Dehere into a start against the boys in the Arkansas Derby (gr. II), according to trainer Ken McPeek.
Private Emblem and Paloma Parilla won their respective divisions of the split $75,000 Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park Saturday.
With a large number of trainers expressing interest in running their 3-year-olds in the $75,000 Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park March 2, the track's racing secretary, Pat Pope, is considering spilling the race into two divisions. Among those possible for the one-mile fixture is the promising Frank Brothers trainee Clergy.
Mapp Hill took advantage of a fast early pace to close resolutely down the stretch and take the $75,000 Sugar Bowl Stakes easily at Fair Grounds on Monday, defeating Lead by Example and Cojet in the six-furlong race for 2-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm