Unsuccessful in six previous tries at the grade I level, Summer Front is well-positioned to break through as part of a small field in the $300,000 Eddie Read Stakes, the first top-level race of the Del Mar season July 20.
French invader Sofast adds a new face to the $300,000 Eddie Read Stakes, which attracted a familiar group of Southern California-based middle-distance turf runners to the first grade I event of the season July 20 at Del Mar.
Pit last year's European-based Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) winner against New York's finest coming off five consecutive victories, and the Turf might look like a two-horse race between St Nicholas Abbey and Point of Entry.
Handsome Mike, frontrunning winner of the $1 million Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II), is headed for the Breeders' Cup Nov. 3 at Santa Anita Park although a decision on which race is still to be made, trainer Doug O'Neill said.
Donegal Racing's TVG Pacific Classic Stakes (gr. I) victor Dullahan is the 4-5 morning-line favorite for the $400,000 Jamaica Handicap (gr. IT) when he faces seven other sophomores Oct. 6 at Belmont Park.
The Breeders' Cup Classic remains a possibility for the Pacific Classic winner.
Paul Reddam's European-based Cogito, who was scheduled to leave Aug. 17 for Saratoga Race Course to compete in the Travers Stakes (gr. I), will remain home after straining a muscle in his back.
I'll Have Another's owner said the Brian Meehan-trained colt will be sent to Saratoga Race Course for the Aug. 25 Travers Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Frivolous Posts Falls City Handicap Upset
- After Gallop, California Chrome Ready to Go
- Finnegans Wake Prevails in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Salutos Amigos Rallies to Win Fall Highweight
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Daddy D T Tops Cecil B. DeMille Stakes
- Euros Inside and Out After Japan Cup Draw
- Nathaniel Filly Tops Tattersalls Foal Session
- Discreet Marq, La Tia Square Off in Matriarch
- Secret Circle, Itsmyluckyday in Cigar Mile