French invader Sofast adds a new face to the $300,000 Eddie Read Stakes, which attracted a familiar group of Southern California-based middle-distance turf runners to the first grade I event of the season July 20 at Del Mar.
Pit last year's European-based Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) winner against New York's finest coming off five consecutive victories, and the Turf might look like a two-horse race between St Nicholas Abbey and Point of Entry.
Handsome Mike, frontrunning winner of the $1 million Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II), is headed for the Breeders' Cup Nov. 3 at Santa Anita Park although a decision on which race is still to be made, trainer Doug O'Neill said.
Donegal Racing's TVG Pacific Classic Stakes (gr. I) victor Dullahan is the 4-5 morning-line favorite for the $400,000 Jamaica Handicap (gr. IT) when he faces seven other sophomores Oct. 6 at Belmont Park.
The Breeders' Cup Classic remains a possibility for the Pacific Classic winner.
Paul Reddam's European-based Cogito, who was scheduled to leave Aug. 17 for Saratoga Race Course to compete in the Travers Stakes (gr. I), will remain home after straining a muscle in his back.
I'll Have Another's owner said the Brian Meehan-trained colt will be sent to Saratoga Race Course for the Aug. 25 Travers Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29