Fresh off a dominating win in the Triple Bend Handicap (gr. I), Smiling Tiger is back to defend his title in the Bing Crosby Stakes (gr. I) at Del Mar July 31.
Sidney's Candy faces just four rivals in his first start of the year as the 123-pound high weight in the $150,000 Mervyn LeRoy Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park May 7.
Paul Pompa, Jr.'s 4-year-old D' Funnybone, winner of last year's Hutcheson and Swale stakes (both gr. II), is scheduled to make his return in the $60,000 Sunshine State Stakes going seven furlongs at Gulfstream Park.
Sunshine Millions Classic winner Tackleberry returns from just a two-week rest to face Soaring Empire, who defeated him in the Hal's Hope (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park.
A near-record number of 3-year-olds were nominated to the Aug. 7 West Virginia Derby (gr. II) at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort.
Coffee Boy slipped through along the inside for jockey Jermaine Bridgmohan in the stretch and upset 1-9 choice D' Funnybone in the $194,000 Carry Back Stakes (gr. II) Calder Casino & Race Course July 10.
Most Popular Stories
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Half Dome Dude Sets Remington Track Record
- Vale Dori Impressive in Bayakoa Victory
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass
- Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded
- Highway Star Wins Go for Wand by a Nose
- Sandford, Owner of Take Charge Indy, Dies