Fresh off a dominating win in the Triple Bend Handicap (gr. I), Smiling Tiger is back to defend his title in the Bing Crosby Stakes (gr. I) at Del Mar July 31.
Sidney's Candy faces just four rivals in his first start of the year as the 123-pound high weight in the $150,000 Mervyn LeRoy Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park May 7.
Paul Pompa, Jr.'s 4-year-old D' Funnybone, winner of last year's Hutcheson and Swale stakes (both gr. II), is scheduled to make his return in the $60,000 Sunshine State Stakes going seven furlongs at Gulfstream Park.
Sunshine Millions Classic winner Tackleberry returns from just a two-week rest to face Soaring Empire, who defeated him in the Hal's Hope (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park.
A near-record number of 3-year-olds were nominated to the Aug. 7 West Virginia Derby (gr. II) at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort.
Coffee Boy slipped through along the inside for jockey Jermaine Bridgmohan in the stretch and upset 1-9 choice D' Funnybone in the $194,000 Carry Back Stakes (gr. II) Calder Casino & Race Course July 10.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- What's Going On Here: Most Charming
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS