Jiggs Coz and Marchfield, who finished first and second, respectively, in the June 3 Plate Trial, will meet for an exciting rematch in the June 24 Queen's Plate at Woodbine.
It's been 15 years since a winner of the Plate Trial Stakes went on to capture the Queen's Plate, but Jiggs Coz could be the one to buck that trend after he coasted to victory in the CAN$151,200 event for 3-year-olds Sunday at Woodbine.
Leading Queen's Plate contender Jiggs Coz vies for his third straight stakes win in Sunday's $150,000 Plate Trial for 3-year-olds at Woodbine.
Zayat Stable's Marcavelly, a 3 1/2-length winner of the Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Keeneland turf in his only 2007 start, could be the one to beat in an evenly matched field of 3-year-olds entered for the $150,000 Crown Royal American Turf (gr. IIIT) at 1 1/16 miles on the Churchill Downs lawn Friday.
A brief snow flurry during the running of the $150,000 Central Bank Transylvania (gr. IIIT), Friday's opening day feature at the Keeneland spring meet, couldn't stop Marcavelly, who sprinted away from his 3-year-old rivals in the stretch to post a 3 1/2-length win on the turf.
Two highly regarded three-time winners, one based in the United States, the other in Canada, are the early favorites for the 2007 Queen's Plate.
Half the field was in contention at the top of the stretch of the $100,000 John Battaglia Memorial Stakes at Turfway Park Saturday, but Catman Running with Willie Martinez aboard proved best in the lane.
Most Popular Stories
- Scat Daddy Colt Tops Sale at F-T Florida
- Coffee Pot Brews a Good One in Carpe Diem
- Shared Belief a Massive Favorite in Big 'Cap
- Clubhouse Ride Retired to Stud in California
- Jockey Chapa Appeals Suspension, Fine
- Seven Seek First Graded Score in Las Flores
- Live Chat - Friday, March 6 at NOON EST
- Avila Draws Suspension Dates, Plans to Appeal
- Metaboss Working Toward Spiral Start
- Help Wanted: Keeneland Hosting Job Fair