A coalition of Pennsylvania horsemen is seeking a series of "state-level" meetings of all stakeholders in horse racing to examine ways to improve the health and safety of equine and human participants.
Robert and Beverly Lewis' Senor Swinger, who won the Jefferson Cup Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs by a widening 5 ½ lengths, is the 4-5 morning-line favorite for Saturday's $500,000 Virginia Derby (gr. IIIT) at Colonial Downs. The race for 3-year-olds is at 1 1/4 miles on turf.
A New York coalition has agreed to open up its wallet to fund a quick study of video lottery terminals in an effort to convince state lawmakers and the governor to permit their operation at racetracks. The legislative session is expected to extend into the summer.
Most Popular Stories
- Bettys Bambino Wins Daytona in Stakes Debut
- Gentildonna Goes Out On Top in Career Finale
- Main Sequence Arrives in Florida for Winter
- Cowtown Cat Moves to Ohio's Mapleton for 2015
- Posse Offspring Take Pair of NY-Bred Stakes
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream