When Kentucky Downs conducts its short, all-turf meet in September, it will offer some of the most lucrative purses in the Bluegrass State this year, thanks to the success of Instant Racing.
A committee has approved use of $100,000 from the Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund for several Kentucky Cup races, but it remains to be seen whether the stakes series--at least part of it--will be run.
Efforts to restore the Kentucky Cup Day of Champions at Turfway Park in September are ongoing, but the return of the stakes program could hinge on sponsorships.
Members of an advisory committee that oversees the Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund expressed concern June 8 over diminishing revenue for the program as well as one racetrack's suspension of full-card simulcasts.
Most Popular Stories
- Dude! Imperative Shocks Charles Town Classic
- Dynamic Impact Nabs 'Hawk in Illinois Derby
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Frac Daddy
- 'Bea' Changes Tactics, Captures Sugar Maple
- Kid Cruz Wins Tesio, Enters Preakness Picture
- Reddam's Bond Holder Succumbs to Laminitis
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- California Chrome Cruises at Los Alamitos
- Mr Speaker Takes Down Coolmore Lexington