Tiznow led at every call en route to winning the $500,000 Super Derby (gr. I) by six lengths, breaking the existing course- and stakes-record time in the process. The full brother of Budroyale, who beat last year's Super Derby winner Ecton Park when finishing second in the Pacific Classic (gr. I) last time out, completed the 1 1/4 miles in 1:59.84 over a fast track Saturday at Louisiana Downs.
The last time trainer D. Wayne Lukas saddled a Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner in the Super Derby (gr. I) was 1996, when Editor's Note completed a sweep of both events by winning the Louisiana Downs feature by 1 1/2 lengths over the Barking Shark. In Saturday's Super Derby, Belmont winner Commendable, a Lukas trainee, has been installed as the morning-line third wagering choice in the six-horse for the 1 1/4-mile race.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Broken Pelvis Causes Charismatic's Death
- Consignors Bullish on Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Grade 1 Winner Gormley Works Toward Next Start
- White Beauty Lineage
- Laurel Park to Introduce Fans to Ownership Experience
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby