Tiznow led at every call en route to winning the $500,000 Super Derby (gr. I) by six lengths, breaking the existing course- and stakes-record time in the process. The full brother of Budroyale, who beat last year's Super Derby winner Ecton Park when finishing second in the Pacific Classic (gr. I) last time out, completed the 1 1/4 miles in 1:59.84 over a fast track Saturday at Louisiana Downs.
The last time trainer D. Wayne Lukas saddled a Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner in the Super Derby (gr. I) was 1996, when Editor's Note completed a sweep of both events by winning the Louisiana Downs feature by 1 1/2 lengths over the Barking Shark. In Saturday's Super Derby, Belmont winner Commendable, a Lukas trainee, has been installed as the morning-line third wagering choice in the six-horse for the 1 1/4-mile race.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Blue Kitten Takes United Nations
- Shaman Ghost Rallies to Take Queen's Plate
- Favorite Tale Upsets Champion Work All Week
- Filly is First Winner for Albertus Maximus
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Bradester Too Strong in Salvator Mile
- Grand Bili Upsets Barbados in Carry Back
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- Merry Meadow Wins Princess Rooney in Return
- Go Blue Or Go Home Claims Highlander Again