Tiznow led at every call en route to winning the $500,000 Super Derby (gr. I) by six lengths, breaking the existing course- and stakes-record time in the process. The full brother of Budroyale, who beat last year's Super Derby winner Ecton Park when finishing second in the Pacific Classic (gr. I) last time out, completed the 1 1/4 miles in 1:59.84 over a fast track Saturday at Louisiana Downs.
The last time trainer D. Wayne Lukas saddled a Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner in the Super Derby (gr. I) was 1996, when Editor's Note completed a sweep of both events by winning the Louisiana Downs feature by 1 1/2 lengths over the Barking Shark. In Saturday's Super Derby, Belmont winner Commendable, a Lukas trainee, has been installed as the morning-line third wagering choice in the six-horse for the 1 1/4-mile race.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Features 201 Pre-Entered Horses
- California's Golden Eagle Farm Set to Close
- Tapit Filly Tops Record F-T October Sale
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Sherman Sees California Chrome Bouncing Back
- Declaration of War Moving to Ashford Stud
- Queen's Plate Winner Lexie Lou in Autumn Miss
- Top 3-Year-Olds Abound in BC Classic
- Tampa Bay Releases 2014-15 Stakes Schedule
- Early Thoughts on the BC Pre-Entries