Tiznow led at every call en route to winning the $500,000 Super Derby (gr. I) by six lengths, breaking the existing course- and stakes-record time in the process. The full brother of Budroyale, who beat last year's Super Derby winner Ecton Park when finishing second in the Pacific Classic (gr. I) last time out, completed the 1 1/4 miles in 1:59.84 over a fast track Saturday at Louisiana Downs.
The last time trainer D. Wayne Lukas saddled a Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner in the Super Derby (gr. I) was 1996, when Editor's Note completed a sweep of both events by winning the Louisiana Downs feature by 1 1/2 lengths over the Barking Shark. In Saturday's Super Derby, Belmont winner Commendable, a Lukas trainee, has been installed as the morning-line third wagering choice in the six-horse for the 1 1/4-mile race.
Most Popular Stories
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Silver Returns to New York Racing Association
- Turfway Cancels Card Because of Weather
- Rise Up Scores for Late Sire Rockport Harbor
- Equine Sector Helps Boost KY Ag Receipts
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Chasing Landaluce
- BloodHorse Horizontal Navigation: Sales
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm