Three weeks after cancer claimed his father, Cleve Delp saddled his first winner as trainer of record when Glenwood Ace ($5.80) won Laurel Park's second race. The 3-year-old gelding wired the field to win an $18,000 claimer by 9 Ã‚Â¾ lengths.
One & Won Stable's Heart Throbbin' was claimed for $40,000 in September by trainer King Leatherbury. Monday, he paid back his connections in full on the opening day of the 75-day winter meeting when he won the $63,200 Dancing Count Stakes for newly minted three-year-olds at muddy Laurel Park.
Hall of Fame trainer Grover G. "Bud" Delp, conditioner of the three-time champion Spectacular Bid, died Friday night at his Ellicott City home due to cancer. He was 74.
Most Popular Stories
- Half Sisters to Preakness Winners Race Sunday
- Dortmund Back to Training After Injury
- Ben's Cat Still After Third Turf Monster Win
- Dialed In Colt Leads Louisiana Yearling Sale
- CHRB Committee Advances New Lasix Proposal
- Royal Posse Aces Evan Shipman Stakes Debut
- Horseplayers Support USADA Oversight
- Pedigree Analysis: Caro
- NYTHA Executive Director Gallagher Retires
- Ironicus Has New Challenge in Bernard Baruch