Three weeks after cancer claimed his father, Cleve Delp saddled his first winner as trainer of record when Glenwood Ace ($5.80) won Laurel Park's second race. The 3-year-old gelding wired the field to win an $18,000 claimer by 9 Ã‚Â¾ lengths.
One & Won Stable's Heart Throbbin' was claimed for $40,000 in September by trainer King Leatherbury. Monday, he paid back his connections in full on the opening day of the 75-day winter meeting when he won the $63,200 Dancing Count Stakes for newly minted three-year-olds at muddy Laurel Park.
Hall of Fame trainer Grover G. "Bud" Delp, conditioner of the three-time champion Spectacular Bid, died Friday night at his Ellicott City home due to cancer. He was 74.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx