Three weeks after cancer claimed his father, Cleve Delp saddled his first winner as trainer of record when Glenwood Ace ($5.80) won Laurel Park's second race. The 3-year-old gelding wired the field to win an $18,000 claimer by 9 Ã‚Â¾ lengths.
One & Won Stable's Heart Throbbin' was claimed for $40,000 in September by trainer King Leatherbury. Monday, he paid back his connections in full on the opening day of the 75-day winter meeting when he won the $63,200 Dancing Count Stakes for newly minted three-year-olds at muddy Laurel Park.
Hall of Fame trainer Grover G. "Bud" Delp, conditioner of the three-time champion Spectacular Bid, died Friday night at his Ellicott City home due to cancer. He was 74.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- 95% Clearance Rate on Day 2 at Tattersalls
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Isabella Sings First Winner for Eskendereya
- Boston and Suffolk Downs Begin Planning
- Paladin Bay Seeks to Tame Bison City Stakes
- Del Mar's Paddock Sale to be Held July 20