Three weeks after cancer claimed his father, Cleve Delp saddled his first winner as trainer of record when Glenwood Ace ($5.80) won Laurel Park's second race. The 3-year-old gelding wired the field to win an $18,000 claimer by 9 Ã‚Â¾ lengths.
One & Won Stable's Heart Throbbin' was claimed for $40,000 in September by trainer King Leatherbury. Monday, he paid back his connections in full on the opening day of the 75-day winter meeting when he won the $63,200 Dancing Count Stakes for newly minted three-year-olds at muddy Laurel Park.
Hall of Fame trainer Grover G. "Bud" Delp, conditioner of the three-time champion Spectacular Bid, died Friday night at his Ellicott City home due to cancer. He was 74.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs