Three weeks after cancer claimed his father, Cleve Delp saddled his first winner as trainer of record when Glenwood Ace ($5.80) won Laurel Park's second race. The 3-year-old gelding wired the field to win an $18,000 claimer by 9 Ã‚Â¾ lengths.
One & Won Stable's Heart Throbbin' was claimed for $40,000 in September by trainer King Leatherbury. Monday, he paid back his connections in full on the opening day of the 75-day winter meeting when he won the $63,200 Dancing Count Stakes for newly minted three-year-olds at muddy Laurel Park.
Hall of Fame trainer Grover G. "Bud" Delp, conditioner of the three-time champion Spectacular Bid, died Friday night at his Ellicott City home due to cancer. He was 74.
Most Popular Stories
- Next Year's OBSC March to be Open Format
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Daddy Does Best
- Messara New Manager at Arrowfield Stud
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Plays
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- Frac Daddy Inherits San Diego's Favorite Role
- Bing Crosby Attracts Goldencents, Declassify
- Candy Boy Among 47 West Virginia Derby Noms
- Pants On Fire Seeks Monmouth Cup Repeat