Three weeks after cancer claimed his father, Cleve Delp saddled his first winner as trainer of record when Glenwood Ace ($5.80) won Laurel Park's second race. The 3-year-old gelding wired the field to win an $18,000 claimer by 9 Ã‚Â¾ lengths.
One & Won Stable's Heart Throbbin' was claimed for $40,000 in September by trainer King Leatherbury. Monday, he paid back his connections in full on the opening day of the 75-day winter meeting when he won the $63,200 Dancing Count Stakes for newly minted three-year-olds at muddy Laurel Park.
Hall of Fame trainer Grover G. "Bud" Delp, conditioner of the three-time champion Spectacular Bid, died Friday night at his Ellicott City home due to cancer. He was 74.
Most Popular Stories
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Engaging On-Track Fans With Social Games
- Paulick Presented With Bergstein Award
- Genetics Behind Horses' Face and Leg Markings Studied
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Bringing Precision to Track Maintenance
- Lucayan Well-Spotted in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29