With a $300,000 purse, the 1 1/16-mile Ohio Derby has taken a step in the right direction in returning to the days when Lost Code, Broad Brush, Skip Away, Milwaukee Brew and Smarten graced the winner's circle.
Three-time stakes winner Storming Inti and grade III winner Global View lead a well-balanced field of 11 3-year-olds entered in the American Turf Stakes Presented by Ram Trucks (gr. IIT) at Churchill Downs May 3.
Tampa Bay Derby (gr. II) winner Ring Weekend will make his final prep for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands when the gelded son of Tapit goes to post in the $250,000 Calder Derby at Calder Casino & Race Course.
Donegal Racing's undefeated Cleburne, winner of the Iroqouis Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs, will miss the Nov. 2 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) with a bucked shin, trainer Dale Romans confirmed Oct. 31.
Three of the most accomplished 2-year-olds on the grounds turned in major training moves at Churchill Downs Sunday Sept. 22 in preparation for what their connections hope will be a trip to the Breeders' Cup.
Departing, Solitary Ranger, Pants On Fire, Groupie Doll, and more. View Slideshow
A pair of longshots trained by Dale Romans for Donegal Racing swept the exacta in the $171,750 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) Sept. 7 at Churchill Downs when Cleburne edged a fast-closing Smart Cover by a neck.
Most Popular Stories
- Speedy Moreno Dangerous Again in Woodward
- Indicators Drop at Ocala August Yearling Sale
- Target on Wise Dan for Bernard Baruch Return
- Santa Anita's Main Track to Reopen Sept. 2
- Solis Returns to California to Ride Full Time
- Sunset Glow Has Experience Edge in Debutante
- Stephanie's Kitten to be Offered at F-T Sale
- Gains Posted as Doncaster Premier Sale Ends
- Kentucky Considers Allowing Salix-Free Races
- Road to the Kentucky Derby Schedule Announced