With a $300,000 purse, the 1 1/16-mile Ohio Derby has taken a step in the right direction in returning to the days when Lost Code, Broad Brush, Skip Away, Milwaukee Brew and Smarten graced the winner's circle.
Three-time stakes winner Storming Inti and grade III winner Global View lead a well-balanced field of 11 3-year-olds entered in the American Turf Stakes Presented by Ram Trucks (gr. IIT) at Churchill Downs May 3.
Tampa Bay Derby (gr. II) winner Ring Weekend will make his final prep for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands when the gelded son of Tapit goes to post in the $250,000 Calder Derby at Calder Casino & Race Course.
Donegal Racing's undefeated Cleburne, winner of the Iroqouis Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs, will miss the Nov. 2 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) with a bucked shin, trainer Dale Romans confirmed Oct. 31.
Three of the most accomplished 2-year-olds on the grounds turned in major training moves at Churchill Downs Sunday Sept. 22 in preparation for what their connections hope will be a trip to the Breeders' Cup.
Departing, Solitary Ranger, Pants On Fire, Groupie Doll, and more. View Slideshow
A pair of longshots trained by Dale Romans for Donegal Racing swept the exacta in the $171,750 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) Sept. 7 at Churchill Downs when Cleburne edged a fast-closing Smart Cover by a neck.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Bolo Back Home at Santa Anita for Thunder Road
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Speedway Stable Strikes Late for Malibu Moon Filly
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired