With a $300,000 purse, the 1 1/16-mile Ohio Derby has taken a step in the right direction in returning to the days when Lost Code, Broad Brush, Skip Away, Milwaukee Brew and Smarten graced the winner's circle.
Three-time stakes winner Storming Inti and grade III winner Global View lead a well-balanced field of 11 3-year-olds entered in the American Turf Stakes Presented by Ram Trucks (gr. IIT) at Churchill Downs May 3.
Tampa Bay Derby (gr. II) winner Ring Weekend will make his final prep for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands when the gelded son of Tapit goes to post in the $250,000 Calder Derby at Calder Casino & Race Course.
Donegal Racing's undefeated Cleburne, winner of the Iroqouis Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs, will miss the Nov. 2 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) with a bucked shin, trainer Dale Romans confirmed Oct. 31.
Three of the most accomplished 2-year-olds on the grounds turned in major training moves at Churchill Downs Sunday Sept. 22 in preparation for what their connections hope will be a trip to the Breeders' Cup.
Departing, Solitary Ranger, Pants On Fire, Groupie Doll, and more. View Slideshow
A pair of longshots trained by Dale Romans for Donegal Racing swept the exacta in the $171,750 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) Sept. 7 at Churchill Downs when Cleburne edged a fast-closing Smart Cover by a neck.
Most Popular Stories
- Hollywood Derby Likely After Chrome's Workout
- Don't Tell Sophia Leads Falls City Handicap
- Big Macher Shows Star Quality in Cary Grant
- East Gift Takes Unusual Path Back to Clark
- Tom's Tribute Tops Talented Seabiscuit Cast
- Ocho Ocho Ocho Cashes Jackpot, Now 3-for-3
- Calgary Cat Sizzles in Kennedy Road Triumph
- Shipper Holiday Star Faces 10 in Turf Cup
- Take Charge Brandi Takes Down Delta Princess
- Danon Shark Wins Mile Championship Thriller