Strait of Dover, on a three-race win streak for trainer Dan Vella, has been installed as the slight 3-1 morning line favorite for the 153rd renewal of the Queen's Plate, Canada's most famous race.
Maiden River Rush, rallying from last along the inside for jockey James McAleney, registered a 21-1 upset in the $145,229 Plate Trial while setting a track record at Woodbine June 3.
Unbeaten in two seven-furlong outings, Donver Stable's homebred Beeker Street stretches out June 3 in Woodbine's $150,000 Plate Trial Stakes. The Plate Trial is a prep for the June 24 Queen's Plate.
Strait of Dover, whose career has taken off since arriving in trainer Daniel Vella's barn at Woodbine, emerged as an early Queen's Plate favorite with his 6 1/2-length romp in the $156,206 Marine Stakes May 12.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Adversaries Unite at Trainers' Dinner
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation
- Grudge Match in the Alysheba
- Amoss Believes Lanerie Best Fit for Mo Tom
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Nyquist's Groom Keeps Top Derby Horse Happy
- NBC Sports Group Sets Derby Week Coverage
- Nyquist Strong in First Churchill Gallop