Strait of Dover, on a three-race win streak for trainer Dan Vella, has been installed as the slight 3-1 morning line favorite for the 153rd renewal of the Queen's Plate, Canada's most famous race.
Maiden River Rush, rallying from last along the inside for jockey James McAleney, registered a 21-1 upset in the $145,229 Plate Trial while setting a track record at Woodbine June 3.
Unbeaten in two seven-furlong outings, Donver Stable's homebred Beeker Street stretches out June 3 in Woodbine's $150,000 Plate Trial Stakes. The Plate Trial is a prep for the June 24 Queen's Plate.
Strait of Dover, whose career has taken off since arriving in trainer Daniel Vella's barn at Woodbine, emerged as an early Queen's Plate favorite with his 6 1/2-length romp in the $156,206 Marine Stakes May 12.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- G. G. Ryder Wins All American in Blanket Finish
- Weekend Hideaway Repeats in Commentator
- Gun Runner Breezes for Stephen Foster
- Connections Plan Breeders' Cup Trip for Top Casablanca
- Fourstar Crook Continues Turf Win Streak
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Rey de Oro wins Japanese Derby
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham