Nevada Kid went to the lead and was never headed in the $192,000 Claiming Crown Jewel at Gulfstream Dec. 7, wrapping up a solid day of racing that featured eight events worth a total of $1 million at the South Florida oval.
Trainer Mike Maker, who has won five Claiming Crown races in the past three years, brings a pair of strong contenders into this year's main events July 24 in Inca King and Headache.
Jockey Russell Baze ventured to suburban Minnesota to register a couple of wins for trainer Lloyd Mason and owners Theresa and Edward DeNike on the Claiming Crown undercard July 25 at Canterbury Park.
Intelligent Male survived a pair of riders' objections over bumping in the stretch to score the biggest victory of his life in the $145,500 Claiming Crown Jewel, the highlight of Saturday's series for racing's blue-collar workers at Canterbury Park in Minnesota.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Mike Venezia Memorial Award to Go to Pino
- Exaggerator Gallops at Pimlico Race Course
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream