Nevada Kid went to the lead and was never headed in the $192,000 Claiming Crown Jewel at Gulfstream Dec. 7, wrapping up a solid day of racing that featured eight events worth a total of $1 million at the South Florida oval.
Trainer Mike Maker, who has won five Claiming Crown races in the past three years, brings a pair of strong contenders into this year's main events July 24 in Inca King and Headache.
Jockey Russell Baze ventured to suburban Minnesota to register a couple of wins for trainer Lloyd Mason and owners Theresa and Edward DeNike on the Claiming Crown undercard July 25 at Canterbury Park.
Intelligent Male survived a pair of riders' objections over bumping in the stretch to score the biggest victory of his life in the $145,500 Claiming Crown Jewel, the highlight of Saturday's series for racing's blue-collar workers at Canterbury Park in Minnesota.
Most Popular Stories
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Six Neglected Horses Cleared to Leave Farm
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Gaudet, Amoss to Join Saratoga Live Team
- Fewer Fatalities Tied to Risk-Factor Changes
- A New Brand of Hero
- Bramlage: Decreased Use of Depo-Medrol a Plus
- AAEP Panel Calls for Additional EIPH Research
- F-T Horses of Racing Age Sale Catalog Online