With two previous third-place finishes in the race formerly known as the Japan Cup Dirt, Michiaki Yabe's Hokko Tarumae was too powerful this year and won the $1,638,183 Champions Cup (Jpn-I) Dec. 7 at Chukyo Racecourse.
Following his game third-place effort in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), California Chrome will remain in training in 2015, co-owner and breeder Steve Coburn said Nov. 5.
Last year's Japanese sprint champion Curren Chan returned to form March 25 when she captured the $2.47 million Takamatsunomiya Kinen (Jpn-I) at newly renovated Chukyo Racecourse by a neck over San Carlo.
Most Popular Stories
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Sam's Sister Stuns Taris in Quick La Brea
- California Chrome is Vox Populi Award Winner
- Prado 'Day to Day' After Gulfstream Spill
- Nine-Month Suspension Recommended for Veitch
- Alert Bay Wins Mathis Brothers Mile Thriller
- Leave the Light On for Storm Cat
- Six Grade I Races Set for Belmont Stakes Day
- WV Racing Struggles With Plan for Stability