ver time, Helen "Penny" Chenery has become known for much more than being the owner of 1973 Triple Crown winner Secretariat. She went on to become an ambassador for Thoroughbred racing, and as such received the Eclipse Award of Merit for a lifetime of outstanding achievement in the sport.
Distinctive Pro, one of New York's top sires for years, has been pensioned from stallion duty at Howard and Susan Kaskel's Sugar Maple Farm near Poughquag, N.Y.
Feb. 21, 1962
Sir Gaylord at Hialeah
In the spring of 1969, a magical seed was planted in the equine garden known as The Meadow, located in Caroline County, Va., just north of Richmond. From that seed the following spring would sprout a legendary creature who would one day transcend the Sport of Kings and forever alter the course of racing history.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- Coltimus Prime Rules Prince of Wales
- Check Ligament Surgery Helps Racehorses with SDFT Injuries
- Montana Jockey Seriously Injured in Spill
- Study: EIPH Does Not Shorten Racing Careers
- Purses, Races Set for WV Classics Card
- Equibase Announces Redesigned Website
- Ashford's Shanghai Bobby to Shuttle to Brazil
- Shadwell Turf Mile to Offer $1 Million Purse