ver time, Helen "Penny" Chenery has become known for much more than being the owner of 1973 Triple Crown winner Secretariat. She went on to become an ambassador for Thoroughbred racing, and as such received the Eclipse Award of Merit for a lifetime of outstanding achievement in the sport.
Distinctive Pro, one of New York's top sires for years, has been pensioned from stallion duty at Howard and Susan Kaskel's Sugar Maple Farm near Poughquag, N.Y.
Feb. 21, 1962
Sir Gaylord at Hialeah
In the spring of 1969, a magical seed was planted in the equine garden known as The Meadow, located in Caroline County, Va., just north of Richmond. From that seed the following spring would sprout a legendary creature who would one day transcend the Sport of Kings and forever alter the course of racing history.
Most Popular Stories
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- No Medication for Mubtaahij in Kentucky Derby
- Former KY Governor Seeking Third Oaks Win
- Churchill to Stream Derby, Oaks Workouts Live
- 123Gaming Granted ADW License in Washington
- Bernardini Filly Shows Maturity in OBS Breeze
- Mott Fights Denial of Assistant's Visa
- Deceptive Vision Wins Doubledogdare
- Brother to Eight Belles Gets Tesio Class Test