A colt from the final crop of deceased sire Monsun topped the BBAG yearling sale Sept. 2 in Baden-Baden, Germany.
- By Blood-Horse Staff
- Thoroughbred Racing, Thoroughbred Breeding, International, Breeders' Cup, Kentucky
Paced by Novellist, Christoph Berglar has won the third annual John Deere Award as outstanding breeder of the 2013 Breeders' Cup Challenge Series and Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Novellist, who this summer broke the track record at Ascot by two seconds in the group I King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes, has been retired and sold to stand in Japan at Teruya Yoshida's Shadai Stallion Station.
Novellist earned an automatic berth in the Breeders' Cup Turf for the second time this season with a record-setting win at Ascot in the Betfair King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes (Eng-I) July 27.
Novellist won the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud (Fr-I) June 23, spoiling the season debut of middle-distance elite Cirrus des Aigles and earning a starting berth in the Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT).
German-based Novellist cruised to a comfortable win over former Australian-based group winner Retrieve in the Gran Premio del Jockey Club Italiano (Ity-I) at San Siro Racecourse in Milan Oct. 21.
Darrell and Lendy Brown have agreed to sell their Stonereath Farm near Paris, Ky., to German breeder Christoph Berglar.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Little Nappy is Shackleford's First Winner
- Taris Could Opt for Triple Bend Over Vanity
- Candy Ride Colt Tops Barretts Sale