A study commissioned by the TVG network has concluded that "exchange wagering provides an important option to grow the audience and participation in the sport in the U.S."
Gambling sources provide more than $25.4 billion to state and local governments, according to most recent figures, but taxes on pari-mutuel wagering provided just a little more than 1% of that total.
The boom from simulcasting is over and North American purses are now growing progressively slower every year like a freight train struggling up a mountain pass. The problem this time around is that the next mountain peak may still be a ways off, and the downhill side does not appear to be very steep.
Most Popular Stories
- Sherman Says 'Chrome' Looks as Good as Ever
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Top Filly Princess of Sylmar Retired
- Illinois Board Has Tough Call on 2015 Dates
- Big Gains Mark Keeneland Sale's Day 11
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Filly First Winner for Line of David
- Undrafted Returns in Kentucky Downs Turf Dash
- Two Dates Added to Upcoming Santa Anita Meet
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends