A study commissioned by the TVG network has concluded that "exchange wagering provides an important option to grow the audience and participation in the sport in the U.S."
Gambling sources provide more than $25.4 billion to state and local governments, according to most recent figures, but taxes on pari-mutuel wagering provided just a little more than 1% of that total.
The boom from simulcasting is over and North American purses are now growing progressively slower every year like a freight train struggling up a mountain pass. The problem this time around is that the next mountain peak may still be a ways off, and the downhill side does not appear to be very steep.
Most Popular Stories
- Seven to Face American Pharoah in Haskell
- Lady Eli Showing Improvement From Laminitis
- Keeneland September Sale: 4,164 Yearlings
- Delaware Jockey Facing Charges After Shooting
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- For Now, Nine Expected to Race in WV Derby
- Korean-Bred Not Just a Novelty at F-T Sale
- WV Stakeholders Seek Racing Revenue Boost
- HRRN On-Site for Haskell, Saratoga Stakes
- Real Solution Acquired by Calumet Farm