The Illinois Racing Board June 23, amid warnings the state's racing industry is at "death's door," narrowly refused to let Arlington International Racecourse trim its daily programs to fewer than eight races.
Arlington Park, which begins its 2013 season May 3, has made a change in its configuration for races contested at 1 1/16 miles on the main track.
A schedule of 11 overnight stakes races worth an aggregate $725,000 for the 2012 meet was announced by Arlington Park March 21.
Arlington Park is offering a free pass to its biggest races for the winners of key European events - the latest in a long series of efforts to bolster the "international" part of the "International Festival of Racing."
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate