New England horsemen have asked Suffolk Downs to request three days of live racing this summer, and with $1.5 million available for purses, pots would average $500,000 per program.
Suffolk Downs, which announced in September it would no longer offer live racing and would not apply for a 2015 racing license, is expected to reverse course and apply for dates within two to three weeks.
The New Hampshire Senate narrowly passed a bill 13-11 late in the evening March 12 that would allow the development of two casinos in the state.
There will be a live race meet at Suffolk Downs in 2015 and 2016 now that track ownership and the New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association have come to terms.
A deal that would allow horsemen to lease Suffolk Downs and operate a live race meet in 2015 and 2016 appears to be close at hand, representatives said at a hearing of the Massachusetts Gaming Commission Feb. 19.
Negotiations that could lead to reopening of Suffolk Downs are continuing after track owners proposed the possibility of using money generated from the state's casino industry to help underwrite the cost of a meet.
The Massachusetts House of Representatives Dec. 31 passed an amended bill that extended the simulcast rights of Suffolk Downs for 90 days to give track ownership and horsemen time to work on a plan to restore live racing.
Suffolk Downs, slated for closure Dec. 31, will be allowed to remain open for simulcasting only under the terms of a bill that cleared the Massachusetts Senate on Dec. 29.
Former jockey Andrea Terrill is suing Suffolk Downs near Boston, Mass., for injuries she sustained in a 2013 race.
A panel at an industry gathering on Tuesday, Dec. 9, largely agreed that track publicists could use social media to fill some of the news void created as papers and other sports publications reduce racing coverage.
The New England affiliate of the Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association took one more important step toward the restoration of live racing at Suffolk Downs in 2015 by filing a supplemental application Nov. 24.
Suffolk Downs, which ended live racing for good earlier in the fall and laid off the majority of the track's remaining employees on Nov. 20 is now investigating ways to remain open as a simulcast-only facility in 2015.
The Massachusetts horsemen and breeders now live to fight another day after the referendum to repeal the bill authorizing three resort casinos and one slots parlor in the state was resoundingly rejected at the polls.
A request by Suffolk Downs that the Massachusetts Gaming Commission reconsider its decision to award its Boston area casino license to Wynn Resorts didn't get out of the starting gate at a public hearing Oct. 9.
Carl Gambardella, the all-time leading rider in New England, hadn't been back to Suffolk Downs in four years but wanted to be on hand for the last day of the meet, as it is slated to be the 79-year-old track's last.
As live racing at Suffolk Downs winds down for the season, and likely forever, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission is seeking options for the continuation of Thoroughbred racing in the state.
As live racing draws to a close at Suffolk Downs, track officials are extending the meet by one day so that the 79-year-old track where Hall of Famers Seabiscuit, Whirlaway, John Henry, Skip Away and Cigar once raced.
A Suffolk Downs executive told horsemen Sept. 20 the track would listen to any viable plans formulated by the New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association to continue racing.
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission said Sept. 18 it will offer help for soon to be unemployed Suffolk Downs workers and racing industry stakeholders, but the words rang hollow for the track's chief operating officer.
Tough decisions lie ahead for the horsemen and workers of the Boston-area track, which is expected to shut down permanently in December.
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission said no dice to the state's Thoroughbred racing and breeding industry when it cast a preliminary 3-1 vote Sept. 16 in favor of awarding the sole Boston area casino license to Wynn Resorts.
The Massachusetts Thoroughbred racing and breeding industry was dealt a devastating blow when the Massachusetts Gaming Commission decided to award the sole Boston-area casino license to Wynn Resorts.
Development plans are starting on the non-casino side of the racetrack property. Any improvements are still contingent on Suffolk Downs' casino partner, Mohegan Sun, being granted a gaming license.
Bio-security measures and protocols to stop the spread of the contagious disease, which can cause respiratory distress, neurological disease, and death, had been in place since June 9.
The 2014 meet at Suffolk Downs will be extended through Sept. 29 but the number of live racing days will decrease, according to a new agreement reached between track management and the New England HBPA.
As Suffolk Downs prepares to open its 2014 meet May 3, a heavy cloud of uncertainty about the future of live racing hangs over the sole surviving Thoroughbred racetrack in New England.
New England horsemen voice their support for the proposed $1.3 billion Mohegan Sun casino development at Suffolk Downs at a public hearing March 25.
Voters in Revere, Mass., overwhelmingly backed Suffolk Downs and gaming partner Mohegan Sun in their plan to develop a world-class destination resort casino on the grounds of the 79-year-old track.
An agreement between the New England Horsemen's Benevolent & Protective Association and the management of Suffolk Downs on a conditional deal for the 2014 meet was reached Feb. 22, but terms must still be decided.
The head of Mohegan Sun said Jan. 22 live Thoroughbred racing will be preserved at Suffolk Downs should the gaming giant prove successful in winning the sole destination resort casino designated for the Boston area.
The Revere, Mass., city council has set Feb. 25, 2014, as the date for a referendum election on the city's host community agreement with Mohegan Sun for a proposed $1 billion casino at Suffolk Downs racetrack.
Suffolk Downs remained in the running for a casino license with the Nov. 27 announcement it has reached an agreement with Mohegan Sun, which operates gaming facilities in Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
Suffolk Downs received a recommendation that its request for 100 days of racing be approved for 2014, but a track official said there are "variables" that could complicate matters.
Suffolk Downs hasn't abandoned its pursuit of a resort casino even though East Boston voters rejected the plan by a hefty margin in a Nov. 5 referendum.
Suffolk Downs Oct. 24 released details of a $40 million "racing improvement plan" tied to its bid for a destination casino license. Officials held a press conference at Indian Rock Stables, a Thoroughbred breeding farm.
Just days after asking its casino partner to resign in the wake of an investigation by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, Suffolk Downs said it will unveil a $40 million "racing improvement plan" at a local horse farm.
Just three weeks before critical local referendums on casino gambling at Suffolk Downs, the racetrack asked partner Caesars Entertainment to resign from the proposed destination resort casino development.
Horse racing will receive a share of gaming revenue from the casinos that will be built in Massachusetts, but during an Oct. 16 forum on the industry, stakeholders asked a question: What good is the money without racetracks?
Suffolk Downs has earned re-accreditation from the National Thoroughbred Racing Association, officials said Oct. 8.
Jockey Andria Terrill was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital after being unseated from her mount shortly after the start of the fourth race July 8 at Suffolk Downs.
The 2013 live racing season at Suffolk Downs will begin Saturday, June 1 and continue through Nov. 2, the track announced May 21 as it introduced its initial racing schedule and other plans for the upcoming season.
Suffolk Downs will face much stiffer competition for the sole destination resort casino license designated for the Greater Boston area now that Foxwoods Resort Casino has entered the crowded field in Massachusetts.
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission took steps Jan. 30 to ensure the highest standards in both integrity and safety as the state's horse racing industry prepares to coexist with planned casinos in the near future.
Four new entrants meet the key deadline to submit formal phase-1 proposals for the sole destination resort casino license designated for the Boston area.
Citing concerns over the safety of horses and jockeys, Suffolk Downs will not permit a 76-year-old jockey to compete at the racetrack in East Boston, Mass.
The Boston-area racetrack has officially applied to open a resort casino in partnership with Caesars Entertainment.
Suffolk Downs June 5 announced details about its plans to develop a Caesars-branded resort and casino at the Massachusetts racetrack.
Suffolk Downs will open for its 2012 live racing season June 2 and the horsemen and track management are expressing a new sense of optimism since the legalization of expanded gambling in Massachusetts last fall.
After months of wrangling over minor details in the contract for the 2012 live meet that begins June 2, Suffolk Downs and the New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association have reached an agreement.
Suffolk Downs will offer its richest stakes since 2008 on Oct. 22 amid a sense of optimism brought about by passage of legislation that gives it a chance to be awarded a license for a resort casino.
Most Popular Stories
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Ness Aiming for Ninth Straight Tampa Title
- Spanish Queen Unmatched in Honeymoon Victory
- Medaglia d'Oro Weanling Tops Inglis Sale
- Derby Overnight Rating Highest Since 1992
- Kentucky Derby Wrap
- Baffert: Derby Win 'Was a Big Sigh of Relief'
- 2015 Kentucky Derby Race Sequence
- Longtime Owner/Breeder Miles Dies at 85