Stall 40 at Pimlico, usually reserved for the Kentucky Derby winner, is instead occupied by New York-bred Zetterholm, who comes into the Preakness with as little fanfare as any starter in the 11-horse field.
Grade I winner Kip Deville, who finished sixth -- beaten by about two lengths -- as the 7-to-5 favorite in the Shoemaker Breeders' Cup Mile Stakes (gr. IT) on the turf Monday at Hollywood Park, was supplemented for $5,000 Wednesday to the $250,000 Californian Stakes (gr. II) here Saturday. The 1 1/8-mile contest is on Cushion Track.
Most Popular Stories
- Mike Mitchell to Step Down as Head Trainer
- Harlan's Holiday Colt Posts Swiftest OBS Work
- Daring Dancer Wins Appalachian With Key Move
- Take Charge Lady Kentucky Broodmare of Year
- Strait of Mewsina Sires First Foal
- European Mark Smashed Again at Tattersalls
- Quality Road's First Starter Scores Easy Win
- Ky Derby: Form, Pedigree, Speed, & Red Flags
- Key Owners, Trainers to Publicize Vet Records
- Broodmare of the Year Take Charge Lady