Stall 40 at Pimlico, usually reserved for the Kentucky Derby winner, is instead occupied by New York-bred Zetterholm, who comes into the Preakness with as little fanfare as any starter in the 11-horse field.
Grade I winner Kip Deville, who finished sixth -- beaten by about two lengths -- as the 7-to-5 favorite in the Shoemaker Breeders' Cup Mile Stakes (gr. IT) on the turf Monday at Hollywood Park, was supplemented for $5,000 Wednesday to the $250,000 Californian Stakes (gr. II) here Saturday. The 1 1/8-mile contest is on Cushion Track.
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?