Colonial Downs' early closing of their twin million dollar 3-year old turf races -- the Colonial Turf Cup and the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) --have drawn 107 nominations, including Barbaro, Bluegrass Cat and Steppenwolfer, top three finishers in the Kentucky Derby Presneted by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
With a last-chance grab at $325,000 in graded stakes earnings on the table, 10 3-year-olds have been entered in Saturday's Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland. Heading the list appears to be John Dillon's Like Now, winner of last month's Gotham Stakes (gr. II).
Neil Pessin is from Lexington and has stabled at Keeneland for years. On the opening day of the spring meeting Friday, his Chin High pulled a major upset in the $150,000 Central Bank Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Sam's Sister Stuns Taris in Quick La Brea
- California Chrome is Vox Populi Award Winner
- Prado 'Day to Day' After Gulfstream Spill
- Alert Bay Wins Mathis Brothers Mile Thriller
- Nine-Month Suspension Recommended for Veitch
- Leave the Light On for Storm Cat
- Six Grade I Races Set for Belmont Stakes Day
- WV Racing Struggles With Plan for Stability
- New York Stallion Series On Tap at Aqueduct