Colonial Downs' early closing of their twin million dollar 3-year old turf races -- the Colonial Turf Cup and the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) --have drawn 107 nominations, including Barbaro, Bluegrass Cat and Steppenwolfer, top three finishers in the Kentucky Derby Presneted by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
With a last-chance grab at $325,000 in graded stakes earnings on the table, 10 3-year-olds have been entered in Saturday's Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland. Heading the list appears to be John Dillon's Like Now, winner of last month's Gotham Stakes (gr. II).
Neil Pessin is from Lexington and has stabled at Keeneland for years. On the opening day of the spring meeting Friday, his Chin High pulled a major upset in the $150,000 Central Bank Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- BH 100: The Royal Treatment
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Roca Rojo Closes for Athenia Victory
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- Seven-Time Group I Winner Buffering Retired
- Elektrum Surges at Wire to Win Dowager
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome