Colonial Downs' early closing of their twin million dollar 3-year old turf races -- the Colonial Turf Cup and the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) --have drawn 107 nominations, including Barbaro, Bluegrass Cat and Steppenwolfer, top three finishers in the Kentucky Derby Presneted by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
With a last-chance grab at $325,000 in graded stakes earnings on the table, 10 3-year-olds have been entered in Saturday's Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland. Heading the list appears to be John Dillon's Like Now, winner of last month's Gotham Stakes (gr. II).
Neil Pessin is from Lexington and has stabled at Keeneland for years. On the opening day of the spring meeting Friday, his Chin High pulled a major upset in the $150,000 Central Bank Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Positive Outlook for Fasig-Tipton Yearlings
- Fasig-Tipton Kentucky: July 2014 Sale Preview
- The Thoroughbred Racehorse Foot
- Ortiz, Castellano Finish in Tie at Belmont
- New Journeyman Cabrera Wins Lone Star Title
- Story to Tell, La Grange Win Juvenile Stakes
- Wildcat Red Posts Bullet Breeze for Haskell
- A Conversation With Michael Straight
- No Catching Unspurned in Bison City Stakes
- Gallante Shocks Soggy Grand Prix de Paris