Colonial Downs' early closing of their twin million dollar 3-year old turf races -- the Colonial Turf Cup and the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) --have drawn 107 nominations, including Barbaro, Bluegrass Cat and Steppenwolfer, top three finishers in the Kentucky Derby Presneted by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
With a last-chance grab at $325,000 in graded stakes earnings on the table, 10 3-year-olds have been entered in Saturday's Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland. Heading the list appears to be John Dillon's Like Now, winner of last month's Gotham Stakes (gr. II).
Neil Pessin is from Lexington and has stabled at Keeneland for years. On the opening day of the spring meeting Friday, his Chin High pulled a major upset in the $150,000 Central Bank Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Del Mar Makes Adjustment to Slow Polytrack
- Perfect at Spa, Sweet Reason Ready for Test
- Clement Hirsch: Iotapa After BC Distaff Slot
- Trainer Joshua Stein Wins in Debut at Sonoma
- CDI Reports Record Second Quarter Revenues
- New York-Bred Palace At Home In Vanderbilt
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares
- Tom Amoss Secures 3,000th Training Victory