Colonial Downs' early closing of their twin million dollar 3-year old turf races -- the Colonial Turf Cup and the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) --have drawn 107 nominations, including Barbaro, Bluegrass Cat and Steppenwolfer, top three finishers in the Kentucky Derby Presneted by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
With a last-chance grab at $325,000 in graded stakes earnings on the table, 10 3-year-olds have been entered in Saturday's Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland. Heading the list appears to be John Dillon's Like Now, winner of last month's Gotham Stakes (gr. II).
Neil Pessin is from Lexington and has stabled at Keeneland for years. On the opening day of the spring meeting Friday, his Chin High pulled a major upset in the $150,000 Central Bank Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Keeneland September Sale Sees More Gains
- Is PA Derby Best Spot for 'Chrome'?
- No Dice for Massachusetts Racing, Breeding
- California Chrome Arrives at Parx Racing
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Suffolk Downs Loses Casino Bid on 3-1 Vote
- What's Going On Here: Solid at the Core
- Injury Forces Sea The Moon's Retirement
- Is California Chrome Vulnerable in PA Derby?
- 'Gold Hopes to Keep Churchill Record Intact