Crafty Ember, dam of grade I winner Pampered Princess, died from complications from hemorrhaging after foaling a Tapit filly Feb. 18 at Trackside Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Pampered Princess and Stellar Jayne, both grade I winners, have been retired from racing to become broodmares.
Master of Disaster, a very impressive maiden winner, heads a field of seven Thursday at Saratoga in the grade II Saratoga Special.
Martin Cherry's Wynn Dot Comma, who upset leading Kentucky Derby (gr. I) contender Eurosilver in the Swale Stakes (gr. III), was euthanized Tuesday after breaking down during a routine gallop at Calder Racecourse.
A day after Marasca upset Equality in the inaugural running of the $250,000 Aventura Stakes the connections of those horses said the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) is not on their respective agendas.
The bird has flown, leaving us instead with the Aventura Stakes, Gulfstream Park's $250,000 replacement for Hialeah's signature Flamingo Stakes that served as a springboard to the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) for the likes of Citation and Seattle Slew. Based upon the returns of the inaugural Aventura, run on April 6, none of the nine 3-year-olds are likely to follow that path.
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- New Standards May be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- Taptowne Draws Rail in Well-Matched Razorback
- U.A.E. to Supply Horses for Chinese Race Day