Seymour Cohn, who was a huge part of the New York Thoroughbred Breeding and Racing program for more than half a century, died Thursday morning in New York at the age of 92.
Man From Wicklow, Whitmore's Conn, and Evening Attire are among the 16 horses entered in Saturday's Red Smith Handicap at Aqueduct.
Jockey John Velazquez, the leading rider of the Belmont Fall Championship Meet, watched rival rider Jose Santos win the first three stakes on the New York Showcase Day card Saturday. Then he won the next three.
Well Fancied sprang a 7-1 upset in the $75,000 General Douglas MacArthur Handicap on opening day of the Belmont fall meeting Friday, beating a field that included the state's all-time leading money earner, 4-5 favorite Say Florida Sandy.
Tortured twice by losing photo finishes in graded stakes races recently at Saratoga, trainer Christophe Clement and jockey Jose Santos got a bit of payback when Waterville Lake Stable's Celtic Sky got up at the wire to beat front-running Reluctant Groom by a nose in the $82,900 West Point Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird Breezes Easy at Santa Anita
- Mor Spirit Unlikely to Take FL Derby Path
- Page McKenney Breeders Get Share After Claim
- Aqueduct Cancels Live Racing for Feb. 14
- Plan for Timonium OTB Parlor Causes a Stir
- Ziconic Set for Debut at Santa Anita
- Calculator Wins in Santa Anita Return
- Frank Conversation Wins El Camino Real Derby
- East Vs. West in Second Derby Future Wager