West Virginia-bred horses from across the state are gearing up for the lucrative Oct. 20 Breeders' Classic races, which offer purses totaling $1.75 million at Charles Town Races & Slots Oct. 20.
- By Esther Marr
At an Oct. 9 hearing in Kanawha County, W.V., Circuit Court, Judge Charles King ruled that Randy Funkhouser, president of the Charles Town Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association, would be allowed to enter his horses in the Oct. 20 West Virginia Breeders' Cup Classic pending the results of an independent arbiter's hearing.
- By Pete Spanos
Penn National Gaming officials reported substantial gains for the first quarter ending March 31, 2006. The Pennsylvania-based racetrack and casiono company showed a 128% rise in post-EBITDA earnings, reporting$164.8 million for the period.
The North American racetracks hosting lemonade stands on Belmont Stakes Day collectively raised more than $114,000 to benefit Alex's Lemonade Stand for Pediatric Cancer Research, the charity founded by Alexandra "Alex" Scott in 2000. The figure is expected to increase as nine tracks are yet to report their figures and others are finalizing exact amounts.
Charles Town Races and Slots in West Virginia has announced the cancellation of its live racing program scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 30, after stopping its Sept. 29 card short after just four recorded races.
Most Popular Stories
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Guest Suite Taking Farish, Howard on Classic Ride
- Three Rules Fires Florida Bullet