Jayeff B Stables' Strike a Deal, who had been winless for nearly 18 months, finally tasted victory Nov. 8, as the 4-year-old colt stayed close to the pace, struck the front in upper stretch, and pulled away for a resounding seven-length victory in the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) on a rainy afternoon at Aqueduct.
In a race where the the likely top three betting choices were scratched, Patricia Generazio's Pure Disco won the $100,000 Revidere Stakes in gate-to-wire fashion Oct. 25 at Monmouth Park.
Jockey C.C. Lopez, injured in racing accident at Aqueduct on Wednesday, sustained a fractured right wrist and will be off his mounts for at least a month, said his agent, James Ricco Jr.
Last year La Reason shipped into Monmouth Park from Kentucky to win the $300,000 Molly Pitcher Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II). This year she'll try to record back-to-back wins in the 1 1/16-mile race as a member of the home team after trainer David Vance relocated his stable from Churchill Downs to the New Jersey oval.
When Gators N Bears enters the gate for Saturday's $200,000 Maryland Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) at Pimlico Race Course, he'll be doing more than defending his 2004 Maryland Breeders' Cup title. He'll be looking for his first win of the year against an evenly matched field of eight runners in the six-furlong race.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Lady Shipman Stands Tall in Highlander
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Litfin at Large: The Mother Goose
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- Mr. Jordan, Green Gratto Face Off in Salvator
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Santa Anita Installs New Turf Course
- Full Mast Could Cruise in King Edward Stakes