Charles Fipke's Irish homebred Perfect Soul wound up for his late bid from the far outside in the final turn and went on to tally an easy 2 1/2-length victory over Strut the Stage in Sunday's $336,000 King Edward Breeders' Cup Handicap (Can-IIT) on the Woodbine turf.
Barretts shattered a world record Tuesday when it sold a flashy chestnut son of Sea of Secrets for $2.7 million at its March select sale of 2-year-olds in training. But the Southern California auction lost some of its luster when nearly half of the horses it offered failed to find new homes.
With six victories this year, including four stakes tallies, Bruno Schickedanz's Wake At Noon appears ready to take on the world's best at Arlington Park in the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Florida Derby Card to Receive Purse Incentive
- Hernandez Reaches 1,000th Victory Milestone
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS