Vicar's in Trouble was named top accredited Louisiana-bred 3-year-old male when the Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association earlier this month released results of its voting for divisional standouts of 2014.
Charles Miller's even-money favorite Prospective Saint, given a patient ride by Eddie Castro, proved best in the stretch to defeat her pace rival Maggie Slew by a half-length in the $150,000 Gardenia Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares at Ellis Park Saturday.
Charles D. Miller's Prospective Saint, coming off a second-place finish in the Princess Rooney (gr. I) during Calder Race Course's "Summit of Speed" July 15, is the 119-pound top weight for Saturday's $150,000 Gardenia Handicap (gr. III) at Ellis Park.
Happy Ticket, on the short end of narrow decisions in her past two starts, finally won a close one Saturday when she nipped front-running Oonagh Maccool in a stirring finish to capture the $321,900 Fleur de Lis Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
Oonagh Maccool and Happy Ticket, two of the brightest stars in the filly and mare division of American racing, square off in Saturday's $300,000-added Fleur de Lis Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs.
Fair Grounds shipper Cape Hope heads into Saturday's $100,000 Herecomesthebride (gr. IIIT) as the one to beat in the 3-year-old filly stakes on the Gulfstream Park grass.
Most Popular Stories
- Semper Fortis Takes Ralis' Spot in Pegasus World Cup
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- Keen Ice to Calumet Upon Retirement
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- After the Eclipse: Songbird at WinStar Part 2
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Tepin Gets Serious in Latest Work
- Sherman Staying in the Moment With California Chrome
- Shaman Ghost Works Bullet in Pegasus Prep
- Suddenbreakingnews Set to Return at Oaklawn