Anthony Oppenheimer's homebred Golden Horn was honored as Europe's 2015 Horse of the Year and champion 3-year-old colt during ceremonies for the Cartier Racing Awards Nov. 10 in London.
Steve Coburn, co-owner/breeder of California Chrome, was effusive in praising fans.
Jeannine Edwards, a sports broadcaster for ESPN and ABC, will host the Eclipse Awards presentations Jan. 17 at Gulfstream Park Racing & Casino in Hallandale Beach, Fla.
The wide-open race for Horse of the Year should make the 2015 annual Eclipse Awards dinner an intriguing event.
The company that owns three of the four racetracks with synthetic surfaces in England said Oct. 9 it will launch the "All-Weather Championships," a series of qualifiers and a championship day April 18, 2014.
- By Tracy Gantz
With nearly every category a foregone conclusion, the 37th Eclipse Awards night appeared to hold few, if any, surprises -- until Jess Jackson in accepting Horse of the Year for Curlin announced the champion would continue racing in 2008.
By William Keith - Each year, the Thoroughbred industry has a great championship day--the Breeders' Cup. At the end of the big day, we have winners, but NO champions. Instead, that determination is put on hold. The fans are asked to wait. Three months later, in the middle of winter, last year's champions are finally announced. By then, it's stale news.
Most Popular Stories
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh
- Sarah Sis Returns to Winning Ways in Chicago
- By the Moon Edges Wavell Avenue at Belmont
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- Jockey Hill Guides in 1,000th Winner