Son of Two Punch sired 58 stakes winners, including 16 graded stakes winners.
Runhappy's late-season run of with three grade I wins earned him Eclipse as top sprinter.
Nineteen-year-old champion and top stallion Smoke Glacken has been pensioned due to declining fertility and the effects of advancing age, Gainesway announced Nov. 1.
Winning the Breeders' Cup Sprint had been the flourishing finish to a splendid nine-race championship season for Amazombie that ran from late January to Nov. 5. Now he has been voted male sprint champion.
The good news is, after a two-month vacation in Florida, Lost in the Fog reported back to work at Gilchrist's barn in early January to begin training for a 2006 campaign, the main target of which will be another crack at the Sprint, to be run this year at Churchill Downs. Gilchrist indicated he will likely map out a less-rigorous campaign for his star this time around, with early plans calling for an April debut in California.
The chestnut son of Dr. Fager was the last horse on the Tartan Farms property in Ocala, Fla.
The racetrack is the great equalizer. Breeders' Cup Day 2001 hammered home that point. On racing's biggest day, not only did some of the game's heaviest hitters--like Sheikh Mohammed, Juddmonte Farms, and members of the Coolmore group--win races, but so, too, did David Lanzman.
Star de Naskra, champion sprinter in 1979 and the sire of 43 stakes winners, was euthanized Sunday at Darby Dan Farm near Lexington due to the infirmities of old age. The 25-year-old was pensioned in March of this year.
Most Popular Stories
- Phipps, Gaines, Winn Named 2017 Pillars of the Turf
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Laurel Stakes Schedule Features $1.6 Million in Purses
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million
- Agent O'Neill Bullish on Stallion Orb
- Phipps Family to Receive Inaugural Dinny Phipps Award
- McCraken Back on Work Tab After Derby Disappointment
- Thunder Snow, Churchill Face Off in Irish 2,000 Guineas
- What's Going On Here: The Pay Off