Dual grade I winner Champagne d'Oro has been retired from racing and is scheduled to ship to Darley Stud Jan. 11 to be bred to Bernardini.
Longshot son of Roman Ruler takes the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) over Stay Thirsty and Brilliant Speed on a muddy track at Belmont Park.
Champagne d'Oro, winner of the June 5 Acorn Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park, struck again, this time at Saratoga Aug. 7 in the seven-furlong Test Stakes (gr. I). Bonnie Blue Flag was second.
Southern Equine Stables' Champagne d'Oro, who previously had one victory in nine starts, scored a major upset when she broke alertly and held off all challengers to win the grade I Betfair/TVG Acorn Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014