Chace City, a grade II winner at Saratoga at 2 last year, was euthanized Jan. 16 following complications from an impacted intestine.
Chace City dueled for the early lead then pulled away in the stretch to win the Saratoga Special Stakes (gr. II) by a length at the Spa Aug. 17. King of the Roxy, who gave chase early, finished second in the $200,000 race for juveniles.
Trainer Tony Reinstedler, who has worked with such champions as Personal Ensign, Easy Goer, Seeking the Gold, Prairie Bayou, and Saint Liam, clearly knows a good horse when he sees one. He is hoping to see one Aug. 17 when Willmott Stable's Shermanesque runs in the $200,000 Saratoga Special Breeders' Cup (gr. II), where he will face six 2-year-old rivals at 6 1/2 furlongs at Saratoga Race Course.
Circular Quay, an easy winner for trainer Todd Pletcher in his lone start, and unbeaten Chace City, the Steve Asmussen-trained winner of the $125,000 Victoria Stakes at Canada's Woodbine, head a field of eight horses entered for Saturday's $150,000-added Bashford Manor Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Judge Rules Veitch Improperly Dismissed
- Cigar Mile As 'Stallion Maker'
- Take Charge Brandi, Mr. Z to Los Alamitos
- Chris' Brew, Galina Point Top Woodbine Stakes
- Stryker Phd Faces Everton in Berkeley 'Cap
- Preparing for Breeding Season
- After Gallop, California Chrome Ready to Go
- Frivolous Posts Falls City Handicap Upset
- Finnegans Wake Prevails in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby