Chace City, a grade II winner at Saratoga at 2 last year, was euthanized Jan. 16 following complications from an impacted intestine.
Chace City dueled for the early lead then pulled away in the stretch to win the Saratoga Special Stakes (gr. II) by a length at the Spa Aug. 17. King of the Roxy, who gave chase early, finished second in the $200,000 race for juveniles.
Trainer Tony Reinstedler, who has worked with such champions as Personal Ensign, Easy Goer, Seeking the Gold, Prairie Bayou, and Saint Liam, clearly knows a good horse when he sees one. He is hoping to see one Aug. 17 when Willmott Stable's Shermanesque runs in the $200,000 Saratoga Special Breeders' Cup (gr. II), where he will face six 2-year-old rivals at 6 1/2 furlongs at Saratoga Race Course.
Circular Quay, an easy winner for trainer Todd Pletcher in his lone start, and unbeaten Chace City, the Steve Asmussen-trained winner of the $125,000 Victoria Stakes at Canada's Woodbine, head a field of eight horses entered for Saturday's $150,000-added Bashford Manor Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Sherman Accepts Big Sport of Turfdom Award
- BloodHorse, Weatherbys Launch Stallions App
- Keeneland Catalogs 1,892 for January Sale
- Jockey Club Opposes Multiple Violator Changes
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Symposium Documents Racing's Racino Problem
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Sunbean Seeks Third Louisiana Classic Win