Chace City, a grade II winner at Saratoga at 2 last year, was euthanized Jan. 16 following complications from an impacted intestine.
Chace City dueled for the early lead then pulled away in the stretch to win the Saratoga Special Stakes (gr. II) by a length at the Spa Aug. 17. King of the Roxy, who gave chase early, finished second in the $200,000 race for juveniles.
Trainer Tony Reinstedler, who has worked with such champions as Personal Ensign, Easy Goer, Seeking the Gold, Prairie Bayou, and Saint Liam, clearly knows a good horse when he sees one. He is hoping to see one Aug. 17 when Willmott Stable's Shermanesque runs in the $200,000 Saratoga Special Breeders' Cup (gr. II), where he will face six 2-year-old rivals at 6 1/2 furlongs at Saratoga Race Course.
Circular Quay, an easy winner for trainer Todd Pletcher in his lone start, and unbeaten Chace City, the Steve Asmussen-trained winner of the $125,000 Victoria Stakes at Canada's Woodbine, head a field of eight horses entered for Saturday's $150,000-added Bashford Manor Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Powers to Easy Stephen Foster Win
- Paco Lopez Sent to Hospital After Paddock Accident
- McCraken Back to His Old Self in Matt Winn
- Heavy Rain Forces Belmont Park Cancellation
- Forever Unbridled Makes Triumphant Return
- Sircat Sally Remains Undefeated With Honeymoon Win
- Kasaqui Ends Six-Race Skid With Decisive Wise Dan Score
- Faypien Edges Mopotism in Summertime Oaks
- Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs
- Unique Bella Nears Return to Training