Echelon led home a one-two finish for Cheveley Park Stud as the 5-year-old mare captured the totesport.com Celebration Mile (Eng-II) by 1 1/4-lengths over fellow Cheveley Park-owned Cesare Aug. 25.
Barbara Cesare's Second of June, who had been pointing for the Oct. 7 Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), was euthanized Wednesday morning after suffering a fracture of his right hind ankle while working at Churchill Downs.
Horses stabled in a second Churchill Downs barn placed under quarantine by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture because of confirmed cases of equine herpes virus at the track will be allowed to return to limited training on May 23.
Second of June, on the comeback trail after a 3-year-old season shortened by a serious injury, will race in the $1 million Ocala Breeders' Sales Classic, the highlight of the Jan. 29 Sunshine Millions program.
Second of June, who has not raced since finishing a game second to Read the Footnotes in the Feb. 14 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II), has been entered in a 1 1/16-miles optional claiming event at Calder on Monday.
Second of June, a game runner-up in Saturday's Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) suffered a condylar fracture of the cannon bone, and was scheduled to undergo Sunday afternoon surgery at Dr. Stephen Selway's clinic near Gulfstream Park.
Man From Wicklow, who won last year's Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I), is currently training at Palm Meadows for a scheduled start in the Sunshine Millions Franks Farm Turf on Jan. 24.
Longshot Cellars Shiraz defeated favored August Storm by 1 1/4 lengths to win the $100,000 Herecomesthebride Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-old fillies Sunday at Gulfstream Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Red Pollard Seabiscuit Saddle to be Auctioned
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Untapable, Tapiture Settle in at Fair Grounds
- Barretts January Mixed Sale Catalog Online
- New Management for 2015 at Rillito Park
- Lenny's Place - Episode 7
- New York Panel Announces Winning Casino Bids
- New Rules Lead to Spike in Indiana Positives
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress