Oaklawn Park owner Charles Cella traveled from Arkansas to Pennsylvania Monday to hand-deliver a $5 million check to Roy and Pat Chapman, owners of Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Smarty Jones.
After Arkansas Derby (gr. I) winner Smarty Jones returned from a gallop over the sloppy Churchill Downs track Friday morning, trainer John Servis said "he is doing fantastic. I wish the race were tomorrow."
The $100,000 Southwest Stakes, the second of three local preps for the $1-million Arkansas Derby (gr. II) on April 10, lured a field of 10, including a pair of two-horse couplings, Feb. 28 at Oaklawn Park.
Oaklawn Park announced Wednesday that it will not only double the purse for next year's Arkansas Derby (gr. II) from $500,000 to $1 million, but also will offer a $5-million bonus should any horse sweep the Rebel Stakes, Arkansas Derby, and Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Champagne Stakes is Next Step for I Spent It
- Wicked Strong to Sit Out Rest of Year
- Wonder Gal Seeks Frizette Rebound
- Wise Dan Faces Stiff Shadwell Turf Mile Test
- Classy Yanks vs. Euro Invaders in Hill Prince
- New England Horsemen Submit Dates Application
- Sea The Stars Filly Tops Day 2 of Orby Sale
- Atreides Gets Distance Test in Indiana Derby
- Hashtag Bourbon Tough in Breeders' Futurity
- Better Lucky Seeks to Repeat in First Lady