Virginia Kraft-Payson's Scipion, who impressed observers with a last-to-first victory in his career debut Aug. 14 at Saratoga, drew the rail in a field of eight for the $200,000 Miller Genuine Draft Cradle Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-olds Sept. 6 at River Downs.
Heavily favored Lunarpal, ridden by Shane Sellers, led from start to finish and held off a stretch charge by Consolidator to take a neck victory in Saturday's co-featured $132,088 Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 2-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
Trainer Steve Asmussen, who leads the nation in wins in 2004, saddles Heiligbrodt Racing Stable's unbeaten and heavily favored Lunarpal in Churchill Downs' $125,000-added Kentucky Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) on Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Zayat Wants 'Pharoah' to Run in Travers
- Hail and Farewell Already
- Honor Code Favored in Sparkling Whitney Field
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- American Pharoah Takes the Haskell
- Shared Belief Still Healing in Northwest
- Wise Dan on Target for September Return
- Priority One Jets to Sponsor Forego Stakes
- NYRA Reports Strong Handle Early at Saratoga
- Haskell TV Ratings Double Compared With 2014