Sitting in the stakes barn at Turfway Park two days before the Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. III), Craig Callis still has a hard time believing that a $2,300 yearling purchase actually brought him here.
A field of 10 was entered for Saturday's $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. II), and although two of the "Big Three" stabled at Oaklawn this winter will run, it is not quite what the Hot Springs track had envisioned.
Cat Shaker, upset winner of the Rushaway Stakes at Turfway Park on the Lane's End Stakes (gr. II) undercard March 26 is headed toward next Saturday's Arkansas Derby (gr. II), according to owner Bill Callis.
The Twin Spires are out there somewhere. We should see them once the fog lifts. The crystal clear path that once was the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) trail is no more. No matter how we analyze, theorize, or just plain romanticize, we all meet this time every year at the same crossroads, with no idea in which direction we're heading.
Godolphin Racing's Blues and Royals, who won the March 26 UAE Derby (UAE-III) by 12 lengths, is among 14 late nominees to the Visa Triple Crown.
Bill Callis' Cat Shaker, sent off at odds of 38-1, ran down the loose pacesetter Daddy Joe in the $100,000 Rushaway for 3-year-olds at muddy Turfway Park Saturday as 2-5 favorite Proud Accolade failed to fire.
Padua Stables' Proud Accolade, winner of the seven-furlong Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) earlier this year, seeks to get back on track after overcoming an illness in Saturday's $100,000 Rushaway Stakes at Turfway Park. The 1 1/16-mile race is part of Lane's End Stakes (gr. II) day at the northern Kentucky track.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Live Saratoga Weekend Coverage from HRRN
- Filly is First Winner for Justenuffhumor
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Which Game On Dude Will Show Up in Classic?
- Pedigree Analysis: Bayern
- CHRB Amends Fee Scale for Losing Jockeys
- Obviously Targets Del Mar Mile Three-Peat
- Captain Serious, Empire Dreams Head Showcase
- Shared Belief Favored in Pacific Classic