Arkansas Derby (gr. II) winner Private Emblem is the 8-5 morning line favorite in Saturday's $125,000-added New York Derby at Finger Lakes Race Track.
James Cassels and Bob Zollars' Private Emblem drew away from the field in the stretch run to win Saturday's $500,000 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) by 4 1/2 lengths at Oaklawn Park.
For some owners and trainers, the $100,000 LeComte Stakes at Fair Grounds on Jan. 26 was the goal. For others, the mile race was just a pop quiz. Questions had to be answered before the final exam, the $750,000 Louisiana Derby (gr. II) scheduled for March 10. Intentions were hard to read.
Fifty Stars, unraced since suffering a right front ankle chip while finishing ninth in last year's Kentucky Derby (gr. I), has been sent back to the sidelines due to a broken splint bone in the same leg. The injury occurred during a Tuesday morning workout in preparation for the New Orleans Handicap (gr. II), according to trainer Steve Asmussen.
Most Popular Stories
- Sinatra Leaving Parx to Take MJC Position
- Del Mar Employee Honored for Heroic Action
- Honor Code Inhales Allowance Foes in Return
- Elite Belle, Magnifisio Win in Australia
- Captain Serious on Toes for Fall Highweight
- Cigar Mile Stakes Card Fields Taking Shape
- Indiana Reports Multiple Medication Sanctions
- Wild Again Still Impacting the Breeders' Cup
- Ben's Cat Faces Tough Task in Fabulous Strike
- New Jersey to Press On for Sports Betting