The departure of the executive director of the Kentucky Equine Education Project is apparently related to changes in staffing and expenditures as it refocuses its efforts away from trying to get legalized casino gambling.
The election of Maggie Hassan as the new governor of New Hampshire Nov. 6 makes expanded casino gambling and the return of live racing to Rockingham Park a real possibility.
With state money tight, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is proposing a plan to create the world's largest convention center at Aqueduct financed by the operator of the track's new casino facility.
Penn National Gaming Inc. said March 8 that it has entered into a definitive agreement to purchase Beulah Park in Grove City, Ohio.
A study commissioned by the Pennsylvania Equine Coalition contends that the introduction of table games at Pennsylvania casinos and racinos will result in a decline of slot machine wagering of between 8% and 13%, potentially resulting in a decline in state revenues.
Nearly a thousand people traveled to Kentucky's state capitol in Frankfort June 17 to rally for a cause they have stood behind for years: to boost the horse racing industry by way of expanded casino gaming.
The Jockeys' Guild has sent a letter to Kentucky legislators stating its support of Gov. Steve Beshear's proposal for expanded gaming at the state's racetracks.
While the Kentucky Equine Education Project continues to lobby for legislation that would remove the sales tax on equine feed and supplies in Kentucky, a decision is pending in regard to whether the organization will again push for casino gambling at racetracks in 2008.
Most Popular Stories
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Disco Rico Euthanized After Laminitis Battle
- Horsemen, Suffolk Downs Continue Discussion
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Durkin to Receive Eclipse Award of Merit
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Slideshow: 2014 Farewells
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- Attorney: NYTHA Protest Plan Not Objective
- Red Pollard Seabiscuit Saddle to be Auctioned