Jan, Mace, and Samantha Siegel's Miss Pickums moved past 2-1 second wagering choice Nasty Storm inside the final sixteenth-mile to win the $223,200 Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) Saturday over a sloppy track at Churchill Downs. Under substitute rider Justin Vitek, the 2-year-old filly completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:48.84.
A pair of D. Wayne Lukas-trained fillies topped the Churchill Downs work tab Thursday morning. Surfside went five furlongs in 1:00 4/5 and Cash Deal went the same distance in :59. Also working at Churchill Thursday were three horses trained by Elliott Walden -- Brahms, Meetyouatthebrig, and Golden Temper.
Breeders' Cup Sprint hopeful Five Star Day cleared a couple of major hurdles on Wednesday. The Beau Greely trainee was named as one of the 14 preferred entrants in the Sprint and he turned in a solid training move in his next-to-last work before the Breeders' Cup.
With the Breeders' Cup just around the corner, more questions were asked than were answered as favorites were upset in graded stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Dissident, I Do Win in Australia, New Zealand
- Durkin Nears Finish Line of Brilliant Career
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- Stallion Oxbow to Stand at Calumet in 2015
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Competitive Group Entered for Smarty Jones
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Hollendorfer Duo Part of Even Yellow Ribbon