Jan, Mace, and Samantha Siegel's Miss Pickums moved past 2-1 second wagering choice Nasty Storm inside the final sixteenth-mile to win the $223,200 Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) Saturday over a sloppy track at Churchill Downs. Under substitute rider Justin Vitek, the 2-year-old filly completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:48.84.
A pair of D. Wayne Lukas-trained fillies topped the Churchill Downs work tab Thursday morning. Surfside went five furlongs in 1:00 4/5 and Cash Deal went the same distance in :59. Also working at Churchill Thursday were three horses trained by Elliott Walden -- Brahms, Meetyouatthebrig, and Golden Temper.
Breeders' Cup Sprint hopeful Five Star Day cleared a couple of major hurdles on Wednesday. The Beau Greely trainee was named as one of the 14 preferred entrants in the Sprint and he turned in a solid training move in his next-to-last work before the Breeders' Cup.
With the Breeders' Cup just around the corner, more questions were asked than were answered as favorites were upset in graded stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Another Try for Metaboss in John Henry Turf
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill