Arena Elvira, a grade II winner by Ghostzapper, has been retired from racing to become a broodmare for owner Carolyn Wilson.
Even-money choice Arena Elvira passed longshot Afleeting Lady in deep stretch to give trainer Bill Mott his fourth win in the $193,725 Falls City Handicap (gr. II) on Thanksgiving at Churchill Downs.
Arena Elvira notched her third straight victory and first in a graded stakes when she pulled away to a 6 3/4-length triumph in the $98,000 Turnback the Alarm Handicap (gr. III) Nov. 4, the opening-day feature at Aqueduct.
Dr. Decter, a colt by Gold Fever out of Spectacularjenelle, by Spectacular Bid, went to Barclay Tagg for $150,000 to top the second and final session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's 2006 June Sale of Two-Year-Olds in Training and Horses of Racing Age.
The Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s open yearling sale concluded Thursday night posting sizable gains in gross, average, and median price and the buy-back rate fell 2% from a year ago. The sale that had 681 yearlings reported as sold is a boost to yearling market as it followed downward trends last week at the Fasig-Tipton New York sale of preferred New York-breds and the California Thoroughbred Breeders' Association's yearling sale at Del Mar.
Loni's Appeal, a filly by Successful Appeal out of Loni Girl, by Future Storm, went to John Brocklebank for $55,000 to top the final open session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's 2003 August Yearling Sale.
A filly by Grand Slam consigned by Sez Who Thoroughbreds was purchased by Carolyn Wilson for $60,000 to top the second open session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's 2003 August yearling sale.
Most Popular Stories
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby: Carrots for American Pharoah
- Kentucky Derby: Firing Line to Preakness
- International Star Scratched from the Derby
- Zayat Compliments Churchill on Treatment
- Lovely Maria Easily Captures Kentucky Oaks
- El Kabeir Scratched From Kentucky Derby
- Slideshow: 2015 Kentucky Derby Day
- Finnegans Wake Flies Home, Takes Turf Classic
- CDI Reports Record $194.3M in Derby Day Bets