Arena Elvira, a grade II winner by Ghostzapper, has been retired from racing to become a broodmare for owner Carolyn Wilson.
Even-money choice Arena Elvira passed longshot Afleeting Lady in deep stretch to give trainer Bill Mott his fourth win in the $193,725 Falls City Handicap (gr. II) on Thanksgiving at Churchill Downs.
Arena Elvira notched her third straight victory and first in a graded stakes when she pulled away to a 6 3/4-length triumph in the $98,000 Turnback the Alarm Handicap (gr. III) Nov. 4, the opening-day feature at Aqueduct.
Dr. Decter, a colt by Gold Fever out of Spectacularjenelle, by Spectacular Bid, went to Barclay Tagg for $150,000 to top the second and final session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's 2006 June Sale of Two-Year-Olds in Training and Horses of Racing Age.
The Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s open yearling sale concluded Thursday night posting sizable gains in gross, average, and median price and the buy-back rate fell 2% from a year ago. The sale that had 681 yearlings reported as sold is a boost to yearling market as it followed downward trends last week at the Fasig-Tipton New York sale of preferred New York-breds and the California Thoroughbred Breeders' Association's yearling sale at Del Mar.
Loni's Appeal, a filly by Successful Appeal out of Loni Girl, by Future Storm, went to John Brocklebank for $55,000 to top the final open session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's 2003 August Yearling Sale.
A filly by Grand Slam consigned by Sez Who Thoroughbreds was purchased by Carolyn Wilson for $60,000 to top the second open session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's 2003 August yearling sale.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Morning-Line Pick in Wide-Open Haskell
- NBC Plans Live Coverage of Haskell
- A Day in the Life: Broodmare of the Year Leslie's Lady
- Potemkin Heads Wide-Open Test at Munich
- Stellar Wind, Vale Dori Face Off Again in Hirsch
- Irish Strait Sentimental Choice in Monmouth Stakes
- Fayeq Impresses in Saratoga Allowance Victory
- Roly Poly, Persuasive tackle Qemah in Prix Rothschild
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Into the Gray Brings Graydar First Winner